1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

install mount on truck 2 day ^&($(&$%(never again

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jerrywane, Jul 19, 2011.

1. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

Knuckle bustin,bolt breakin,backachin,dirty,S.O.B.Broke 3 drill bits,used 8 sawzall blades,and now that i have shimmed out the bumper mounts......i am so positive that it will all go back together as easy as it came off!!!!!!!!!!I It is almost worth paying 600 bucks for the install just to have not do what i got done today.....picking the used plow up early next week...lil wireing......presto changeo imma gonna plow me some snow soon i hope . Will post pics
  2. chevyman83

chevyman83 Member

1st ones always the hardest. My 2nd one took me about half the time.
  3. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

Riddle me this????

How on Gods green Earth do you get the bolts through the frame when none of them are near long enough.Do you have to pull the bolts through the frame holes in the front of the truck ,cause there is no way in h$ll i can even put storebought bolts on the passenger side all the way through!Drivers side i may have 1/2 a chance or do you just go through the front and use shorter bolts,because the frame is abot 3" through one side to the other. Got all of them drilled,just need to finish the mount then i get to have a blast putting the bumper back on after putting shims on the front mounts.............JEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZ......1/2 aszed instuctions too!:realmad:
  4. chevyman83

chevyman83 Member

What kind of truck are you installing on? Both of the trucks i did were 90's era chevy trucks putting on used plows and mounts that someone else removed from previous truck.
  5. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I may be wrong but I don't think you are supposed to put bolts all the way through the frame. Usually you tack weld a steel rod to the bolt head and slide it down the inside the frame and stick it through the hole. Your truck have a different set up though. I have done at least a dozen or so and I don't remember anything bolting through the frame. I have heard they don't do it that way because when you tighten the bolts and go to pull the mount in to the frame that you can actually pull your frame together. Not saying you did anything wrong just trying to pass along some info.

They can be a pain to put on but this winter when you are pushing snow with the radio on in heat not out there shoveling you won't remember it as such a bad time. Have fun plowing snow.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Make sure to read the instructions very clearly. Before you go making your own holes and buying different bolts re read the steps. I have done a few different ones on ford chevy and dodge. Chevy is by far the easiest. The dodge I did wasn't as bad. The bumper was the tought part to put back on. The ford I did was the worst. I went thru 2 drill bits. But I just took my time and didn't get pissed at it. If I did I would walk away with the instructions for that truck and re read them.
  7. eshskis

eshskis Senior Member
    from 4

This is easy.... Their is a tool you can buy or you can make it yourself

It is simply a spring with a long tail... you thred the bolt "into" the spring, fish the tail through the mount to the otherside and pull the bolt through.

Or take strong fine wire and coil one end around the bolt in a fashion strong enough to thred the bolt into the coil for a good grip on the bolt then fish the bolt through
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  8. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

did that

The kit came with those bad azz lil bolt pullers......man is so friggin smart.....anyway i just put the bolts throgh the inside of the frame,and NOT all the way through thanx guy.THIS SITE ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Use the factory bolts not hardware store junk. you need at least grade 5 if not grade 8. Don't tighten anything until all the hardware is in place UNLESS THE INSTRUCTIONS TELL YOU DIFFERENTLY.
  10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

What brand of truck are you putting the plow on. GM products are easy to do. Everything lines up and there is no drilling at all.

I believe Ford's you have to remove the bumper and Dodge there is some drilling to do.