1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Install Help on 03 Dakota

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by rpdwyer, Oct 26, 2009.

1. rpdwyer

rpdwyer Member

Hello all.

I am looking for help from anyone who has installed a sno-way on a 2000-2004 dakota before.

I picked up a 24 series with mount and nose piece that came off a 2000 dakota. I found a PDF for installation, and have thus far removed my front bumper. The bumper was mounted to brackets which mount to the frame. I removed the bumper from the brackets, but the brackets themselves are attached via star/hex head type of bolt with nut. I removed the nuts, 2 from each side, but the bracket cannot be removed because it doesn't have enough clearance with the star/hex head bolts still in place. The PDF says to drive them out... how exactly? I retightened one of the nuts and tried forcing the other out with a hammer, no luck. Anybody else have this issue before?

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah I had that issue as well with my Fisher Mounts. The brackets hit the lower radiator support and can't come off. I basically forced mine off with a crow bar if I remember correctly. I removed the bolts from the two body mounts that are right there at the front of the frame horns- which allows the radiator support to move a little. Doing this loosened it just enough to get the bracked off. Hope this helps.
  3. timboy

timboy Member
    from Ny

Try putting a pry bar in between the radiator support and the bracket when you hit the bolts it helps drive them out as they are splined and as you have found out very suborn at times.
  4. rpdwyer

rpdwyer Member

I was able to get them out by hitting them considerably harder with a hammer... they popped right out. The only thing I'm not happy about is my front bumper is hanging about an inch lower than it should because the frame holes for the bumper are slotted which would normally allow you to adjust the height of the bumper. But because the plow mount run through also, it wants to sit towards the bottom of the slot so my bumper is down. I will measure the clearance tomorrow and if I am in spec with the recommended clearance, I guess I will drill the mount out so it is also slotted. If it shows however the mount is sitting a bit low, I will have to figure out a way to raise it up. I could just put an inch of washer to make up the difference, but I don't think that would structurally be the best thing to do shold I actually need the bumper if I slam into something.
  5. rpdwyer

rpdwyer Member

Hopefully my last question for a while. I hooked my plow up with the controller in the engine compartment and everything worked great. Now I have to actually punch a hole through the firewall to run the wires into the cab... but not really seeing a great spot.

Anybody else with a 03 Dakota find a spot to run the wires through the cab? Before I start to drill, I was hoping others have a found an existing hole I can run through.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Best I can tell you is if you take the plug apart it goes though a smaller hole.:nod: