1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

install and use urethane edge questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by massbowtie, Feb 19, 2003.

1. massbowtie

massbowtie Member

been lurking around reading for a while and finally registered..i bought my urethane edge from a place in n.h. befoe i found this site, installed it using washers as i didnt have an old cutting egde..in order to have it hang down the 1.5 inches it meant the edge was up above the trip edge into the mold board, didnt like that idea..first time plowing the edge caught and kept the trip edge from returning to the untripped position,top of urethane edge was stuck in the trip area..removed and cut an angle to the backside and stopped that from happening..ok this storm from back dragging dock doors,between the urethane and the trip edge was seperated and filled with snow causing the urethane edge and trip edge to have about an inch of packed snow between the 2 and creating a lousy angle for scraping..i had to remove it as the snow was making the edge almost pull off the the bolts..if i didnt have the larger washers im sure it would have pulled off and ruined the edge..my question,is everyone who installs w/out an old edge have this problem ??? im not excited about adding the weight of an old edge but have no choice unless im missing something??? im going to get an old edge and plasma cut it straight and as small as i can,2-3" and try this..am i missing something ?? thanks

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

massbowtie,welcome to plowsite. I run u edges,and i tried using the fender washers on the last plow,it didnt work for me either.I took my old edge which is still like new,and flipped it over and used it,its been fine since.

3. Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto Member

I've been thinking of getting a piece of metal the size of a cutting edge but only washer thin or a little thicker to use over a U-edge. That way you have support without unneccesary weight and thickness.

4. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

i had that problem with mine, here's my fix. instead of using a cutting edge in the front i bought a piece of 1/8 x 4" x what ever length you need and drilled the appropriate holes,this did not solve the prob. either so i took it off and went down to a fab shop that has a brake press and put a 1"10 degree kicker bend to stiffen up the 1/8 x 4" flat bar......problem solved.
    dan

5. John DiMartino

Mr Roberto,dotn bother with the strip steel,it doesnt owrk,i tried it to save weight.I used 1/8" x3" it bent outward between the bolts.Somewhere on here there are a few pics of my edge,you can see where the steel didnt hold up.Next time ill use 1/4 X3 that ought to do the job..

6. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Here's a pic that shows how John mounts his U edge.

pc280010.jpg

7. John DiMartino

Fordman that U edge was mounted with a scrap of 3/16X4 steel.That truck now has an 8,5 MVP on it:) .