1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

install a powertrax loc rite

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 7tcutty, Jan 7, 2006.

1. 7tcutty

7tcutty Junior Member

i just did this yesterday on my 86 i have no snow here but i can immediatly tell the difference.. i cant wait for some big snow to see how the truck plows NOW!!

the istall was actually really easy i took my time and it took about 1.5 hrs

i could do it in alot less now..

2. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Front or rear?

I had one in the front of my jeep and it was BAD NEWS in the snow. I don't know how much it will help in the rear either, it might be better to have a limited slip. The lockrite KICKED ASS off-road, but it was so bad in snow that I would normally use 2WD in snow, only 4X4 if it was real deep stuff, but the thing torque steered like an animal.

-Jer

3. 7tcutty

7tcutty Junior Member

mine is in the rear i wouldnt put one in the front for that same reason if you do strictly off roading or bogging climing ext its great to have one in the front but for a street vehicle there is no need. i will end up putting a LSD or some sort in the front so i can still turn and not tear the truck up.

ive read that if you do use a locker of some sort up front that you should only lock one side of the axle if you have lock outs that seems like a major PITA to me it would suck to have to get out of your truck into a 3 foot snow pile to lock the other axle JMO

karl

4. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I had a lockrite in a '91 Dakota v8 4x4. It was excellent. The thing I remember doing also was putting a slick additive into the rear hub to make sure it slipped easier. No issues at all.

5. 7tcutty

7tcutty Junior Member

i also filled the diff with synthetic fluid i think that itself made a big difference.

6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I have one in my truck and absolutely HATE IT. Can't argue with the traction but for day-to-day driving it makes the truck feel like a real, Grade-A Piece of :realmad:.

Its probably coming out in the spring if I can find a limited slip or something.