1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Install 3G Alt. into F150

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hot_raud, Jan 28, 2004.

1. hot_raud

hot_raud Member

I'm looking to replace the stock alternator in my 88 F150 (60 or 65 amps) with a 130 amp 3G alternator. I've heard that I can use the alternator out of a 94/95 Mustang V8 or even a 96 Mustang V6. I understand that I may have to slightly cut back the bracket to fit the larger alternator. But, what I need help with, though, is the wiring of the alternator - I believe the plug(s) to alternator are slightly different...

If anyone has done this, can you please give me some pointers on doing this conversion or point to where I can find more info.

2. raylesk

raylesk Junior Member

Here are 2 sites for the swap--I used the mustangcentral on my 87 full size bronco 5.0 and it went smooth. I took the harness out of the truck and redid it on the bench and cut the bracket as in the photos. It should be exactly the same for your F150. I bought my 3g at
    for $130 and it is a 160 amp unit that puts out 75 amps at idle--much stronger than the stock 3g.

3. hot_raud

hot_raud Member

Thanks raylesk,

after reading thru the instructions I decided not to try and mess with it. Instead, I phoned a local shop who have beefed up version of the stock alternator for my F150. On the bench, the new alternator is capable of over 120 amps. Good enough for me...I went with it and don't have to cut my bracket or do the wiring which I 'm sure I would have messed up.
  4. Joe92GT

Joe92GT Member

Its an easy swap. I've done it on two older mustangs. If that alternator dies, I would suggest the 3g swap. Cutting the bracket is easy, use a swaz-all.

Cut off the two charge wires and tape... run 4 gauge to your batter with a fuse. And tap the white wire with black strip for the (excitor) I beleive. its the second single male connection on the alt.