1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Instalation issue

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Grambo170, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Grambo170

Grambo170 Junior Member

I mounted two led strobes in the high brake light on back of cab. Seiing I never use the bed lights I took the bulbs out and the socket out of the lens enlarged the hole too accomidate the leds.

Now I thought I would just cut the hot wire to the cargo lamps feed the leds and the same for the ground and use the push button switch on the dash.

Heres the problem, when I push the button no lights, if I remove the lens and confirm voltage with a meter lights come on and I'm good to go. now shut truck off come back no lights again.
    check fuse fuse is good when taking fuse out and putting back in lights come on and you good to go until you shut truck off.

Question i beleive there is a relay in the cargo light circuit is the load so little it will not engage the reley or is there another issue.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

what kind of truck? Sounds like a gm?. I have a pair of sound off leds hooked to a switch thru a relay and they work every time I hit the switch. What kind of lights are they and what does the meter read when you test it?
  3. Grambo170

Grambo170 Junior Member

Yes it's a gm 2006 chevy silverado 2500HD crew cab 6.0L the lights are the whelen vertex led strobe lights

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

What's the meter read when you flip the switch on?
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Don't use a meter it will lie to you. Use a test light
    Isn't the cargo light on a time relay?
  6. mike1316

mike1316 Senior Member

But watch with some newer truck the cargo light go out as soon as you pull the shifter out of park. My 09 Chevy does
  7. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 06 Silverado 1500 and I can push the button on my dash to turn on the cargo lights and they stay on no matter what.
  8. Grambo170

Grambo170 Junior Member

Thanks for all the replies, I abandoned the cargo switch and ran wire to my own switches and works great I will post a pic of my switch location I used the premade three switch pac from strobes n more two on/off/ one momentary and mounted in the head liner console looks good.