1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Insta-Act Pump Noises

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by nalegtx, Dec 4, 2013.

1. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

so i put new fluid in my flow, went through the normal cycling to get he fluid level right and bleed all the air out. My pump makes a loud squealing/screeching noise when going left or right from a stationary position. It started last year and i just assumed contaminated fluid. It was the last 2 storms so i never changed out the fluid. I was thinking maybe time for new spool valves?
    Also, i noticed that sometimes the plow will either angle or lift very slowly out of no where. Are these two things related? I was thinking possible my rusty ground bolt on my power unit is to blame...i used a stainless for the power side, works awesome
    Any input would be greatly appreciated....i am a former mechanic so i can do most of the work myself :mechanic: Thanx again and Happy Plowing!!!!:waving:

2. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I would start with a pressure test. Check all your pins and makes sure they are well greased. Has anyone tried to tighten the packing nuts on the rams?

4. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

no one has touched the packing nuts on the rams....where do i test the pressure? any special gauge or just a standard fluid press test ?
    i cleaned the pins on the connectors with contact cleaner and used dielectric grease on all plugs and pins connections

5. kimber750

Pressure test is done with a tee in lift ram line and 3000psi gauge. Read pressure when ram is all the up and pump is running against the relief.

Was talking about all pins on the plow itself. When dry the can make all kind of noise.

Edit, let me double check pressure test method. Some do have test ports.

6. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

went to my local Fisher dealer and played one of the service guys the video on my phone. A tech who knew me said it was the electric motor. the brushes have worn out and the bushing on the end of the armature sounds worn. Said the armature was grinding inside. I got a new motor assembly, went home and installed , just finished up. He was right, the inside of the motor had about 1/2" thick of dust from the brushes. They were worn almost the whole way through to the wires. The top of the bushings were grinding against the armature.
    So, put the new motor on and everything is tight and clean. Go to test it.........AHHHHHHH, now i can't hold any button down on my fish stick controller i have to consistently tap the direction i want the plow to go....i am confused as to what he heck happened!!! I've taken this off before with no problems....

7. kimber750

That's pretty impressive. Most the time the motor quits working long before it gets that worn. What does the control do if you hold the button down?

8. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

the plow jerks and then the motor just buzzes with no plow movement at all....once i start feathering the button it will go slowly in small incriments

9. kimber750

My first guess would be solenoid. That or dirty/bad connection.

10. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

i'm going to refill with fresh fluid....treat it like a flush from the fluid i put in 5 days ago....there was a decent amount of water in the reservoir from last year.....i found my reservoir o-ring had broke....n e way, then i'll go through each connection one at a time:mechanic:Thumbs Up

11. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

It could be as simple as a bad power or ground connection @ the battery or the motor.

12. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

waiting for the chimney guy to finish up his inspection, then out to the truck to start playing with wires =)

13. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

Found a broken wire going to the 3-pin plow side harness....still doing the same after the fix....Local service told my sounds like a bad pump.....how when it was working before the new motor was installed??.....n of course 1-3" tonight....n e one have ideas?

14. kimber750

Use jumper cables to bypass solenoid and plow wiring. If it still does it it is wiring or pump. If motor runs perfect it is solenoid or wiring.

Attach jumpers to pump motor, then clamp to battery. STAY CLEAR OF PLOW.

You may have gotten a bad motor also.

15. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

so jump from batt + to motor + post and batt - to motor - post?.....will the plow start moving in a particular direction or will the motor just spin?

16. kimber750

Correct, insta-act should not move since no valves will be energized. But this is not a guarantee. That is why you attach jumpers to motor and touch to battery, so you can stay clear of the plow.

17. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

so when i hold the neg to the BATT terminal (keeping the + clamped to BATT +) that should simulate me holding down a direction on the controller.....therefore it should or should not perform the same way as my current problem?

18. kimber750

If you use the jumpers and the control and it still has the same symptoms most likely problem is motor or pump. If it works correctly it is most likely connections or solenoid.

19. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

gotcha yea...thanks man...i'll try it in the AM

20. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

so i just found another post with the same sounding concern.......read the 5 pages and decided to check the electrical diag page for Insta-Acts on Fisher's eLibrary. I verified that there is one positive wire and the others are all grounds...as always....so i go out to the plow and check....yup labeled and hooked up as the picture states and my labels designate on my new motor......................GUESS WHAT!?!?!?....the damn labels are reversed!!!!!...really?!?!?....took off the wrongly placed labels and reversed the wires....IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!....working as she should.....thanx to all who jumped in with their help/knowledge....that's why i love this sight.....HAPPY PLOWING TO ALL AND TO ALL A SNOWY NIGHT (SEASON)!