1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Insta-act hydraulic filter change?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mkwl, Nov 18, 2014.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Hope everyone is gearing up for the season (or maybe already started the season!).

I have two Fisher 8' straight blades- one 2003ish and one 2008ish both insta-act.

My questions is- do you guys remove the hydraulic unit to take off the reservoir every year (or every 2) or just do the "Fisher recommended" drain and fill? I did do the whole removal of the unit a few years ago on my older plow, but recall it being a real PITA (one of the little screws holding the reservoir on snapped off), couldn't get the filter tube out of the pump, etc). Worth the hassle to remove it, or just stick with the annual fluid change (I do that on both plows every fall)?

Is there a better way to get into the reservoir and get the tube out of the pump?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I would drop the res off the ultramounts every year, very close to your setup. I found that it's better to fix broken bolts and bad filters in a nice heated shop at my own pace instead of rushing and freezing outside.
  3. Not for nothing.... but November 18th isn't the time of year to do this project. If you drop the reservoir annually it's usually a pretty easy job. The MM2s are a bit more difficult because you have to loosen the mounting bolts on the pump assembly.
  4. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

We are still cutting grass down here don't expect snow for a couple weeks- I'm not in Maine lol. This is still most definitely "pre season" for us. What do you mean loosen the mounting bolts? Last time I had to take the bolts off the upper frame and take the whole hydraukic unit off...
  5. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

That's what he means remove the whole assembly from the headgear.I change mine every year and put anti-seize on the bolts before I put the reservoir back on the bottom of the pump
  6. Most of the country is below freezing tonight. Ditch the mower and get going on that plow!!!