1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Insta act help

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by dodgegmc1213, Dec 11, 2015.

1. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

My spare plow is an old 8'HD with the insta act system. I've replaced the motor, pump and filters, cleaned all the fluid out and put fresh fluid in, but for some reason it's slow when moving (up right or left). My thought was maybe new cartridges and coils could help? I know there's an adjustment for the drop speed, is any of the other screw type valves or whatever they are an adjustment for operating speed? Any other thoughts on what it could be? Thanks

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

3 plugs at the grill?

Things to do:

First and foremost I would recommend testing the pressure to see where you're at first. It should be between 1650-1850 psi

View attachment PSI.pdf

View attachment psi instruct.pdf

Just changing the fluid doesn't rid the system of the built up gunk..Flush it according to procedure, and make sure to replace the filter again.

View attachment Flush.pdf

If the power harness is old and tattered, replace it, same with truck side.

You can clean up the valves:

Scrub with old toothbrush, or stiff brush with K1, Diesel, wizzle piss, or parts cleaner.... Replace o rings if they don't appear flawless. Take a pointy object and push in on the end of each valve, it should move smoothly going in and come right back out when released, any hitching going in or out after cleaning, replace it.

Follow these instructions for inspection-

View attachment Coil valves.pdf

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  3. RepoMan207

from Maine

Mod, delete this one

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  4. dodgegmc1213

Thanks repoman, I had it apart last year, the cartridges were the only things I took out and tested with a power probe, I never took out the other valves and cleaned them. While all apart I blew it all with air, I blew all the hoses out and both angle cylinders are new. The motor sounds like its struggling while operating and is loud

5. RepoMan207

from Maine

High pitch noise?

6. dodgegmc1213

Nope deep grinding type noise. I'll hook it up on Monday and record it in use. I know everything on the truck side is fine, it does the same on our other 2 trucks

7. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Motor bearing(brass collar).Part is cheap but requires a special tool to remove and replace,it's pressed into the valve body,if your pump did not have an alignment ring on it then the same tool kit contains a tool to properly center your pump when you bolt it back down,DO NOT overtighten,only needs 150-160 in pds,same with motor,guys torque them down as well,no need,only 50-60 in pds,to tight on all these bolts and your gonna bind.