1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Insight wanted... Pro/Con of MVP Plus ??

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by scottL, Jul 12, 2007.

1. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I was just looking at the western MVP Plus ( v-plow) 8.5, poly, w/back drag blade and deflector. It's been out nearly two years now and I was wondering what owners think of this plow? How is it for stacking, wing collapse, angeling, reliability, etc.

Thanks!

2. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Going to bump this old thread to get some more answers instead of starting a new one. Found out that my dealer has a brand new 8' 5" MVP ultramount that they can install for 5 g out the door.

How are you guys liking them? Are they pretty reliable and well constructed? How is the controller layout?

From what I've seen on Western's website, the two bottom buttons individually control each wing in or out, which means you have to press twice and hold for whatever direction you want, and the two top buttons just put it in a pre-set V or Scoop mode. Correct?

Anybody go from a Boss to MVP or MVP to Boss?

3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

$5k isn't really a great price but if you're happy with it that's all that matters.

4. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

5k? For a brand new plow, fully installed, wired up, with controller and deflector? That isn't a good price?

5. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Camden, do you find it takes you extra time trying to set the wings up with the two buttons than it did with the Boss? I know I am not going to have the vee at the most extreme angle all the time, nor with the scoop.

Which size and generation Boss did you have?

6. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

You need to press and hold the V or Scoop button to get the plow into those "extreme" positions. If you would let off half way through your plow will be straight and then you can use the angle buttons to go left or right.

And to answer your second question, I've had an 8'2" with wings and two 9'2" without wings. All of them were RT3, Smart Hitch II

7. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Why did you switch? How would you compare Boss's controller to Western's? How about Boss's SmartLight vs. Western's Nighthawk. Which one do you think is better?

8. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

This is my third season into the MVP Ultra. I had three hose ends which always wiggle loose - no big deal. I stack very high so the chain grabs on the lift arm get crushed a bit. You must get the 1/2" cutting edge ... the smaller one will crack. Generally speaking the plow performs and I would never go back to a straight blade again ... never.

The controller takes all of 5 minutes to get use to. Setting the wings is not an issue at all. To back to a straight blade you simply turn the plow all the way to one direction and then flip one wing and bingo your there. The bucket is awesome and yes the vee has been used to crack piles and heavy pack at front entrances.

9. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

$5k installed w/ deflector is a great price! And this plow is 95% the same as Fisher's XV, which i have and love. As far as the two wing buttons on the bottom of the controller, I never ever use them. No need to really. The plow scrapes very clean as well. Very versatile

10. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

So to refine my question based on what Camden said, if you press either Scoop or V, the plow does not automatically go fully V or fully Scoop? You have to hold it to get into position and you can stop at a less extreme angle that you want?

11. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

Yes. Let's say you are in full V. you press the scoop button and you can let go and it'll end up in straight or near straight. What's nice is not going to full scoop, you can then angle left or right a touch to help hold the snow as you turn a corner. Really gives you an infinite number of blade positions

12. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I just bought one and have used in very little... but so far I love it! I switched from a Hiniker V-Plow and the control is alot different to run but I think the plow is built alot better from looking at it!

13. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Do you got the snow plow prep pack on your 6.4L 250?

14. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

I can get a 9' 2" boss VXT for 5300 installed with smart locks, snow deflector, and joystick controll

I have a MVP and personally don't care for the control setup and super slow hydraulics. I've ran boss plows and they smoke the Westerns hydraulics on both speed and power.

The two buttons at the bottom of the controller on westerns can get confusing as to which direction the wing will move if you tap them one too many times to shake sticky snow off the plow.

I like the boss setup for the fact that you can bump the joystick foreward and backwards quickly to give it a quick shake if needed.

15. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Seems like you got a great deal on your Boss. My problem is, I already have a Western 7' 6" poly straight and I already have an Ultramount setup. It would be over a $1,000, the price difference between a Boss 8' 2" V-XT and a MVP +. Boss does make a great plow though.

16. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

How many of you guys bought pre-season? What did you pay for your MVP?

17. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Here's another one. For those of you with poly MVP+'s, have you bent the poly or dented the poly because the blade tripped and you hit a solid object, say a curb or something? With the trip blade, would it be better to get steel?

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Here's a little reading for you concerning Boss vs. Douglas Dynamics (Fisher & Western) Vee plows.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=84612

Do a search, you will find plenty. Search for hinge, pin, under my screen name.

19. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Well that's interesting... Making me re-think the purchase.

20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If I were you I would spend some time really looking the plows over. Take some pics, measurements, etc, and compare them when you have a clear head. If you know anyone with both, or have a way to put both next to each other, I would try to do that too. One more thing, the reports seem to indicate the V-XT really throws the snow well when windrowing.