1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Inquiring Minds Want To Know.......Rookie Seeking Experienced Opinions.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PMAK1998, Aug 19, 2003.

1. PMAK1998

PMAK1998 Junior Member

Hello Everyone,

This looks like a very COOL site. Let me start my SAGA......

I recently purchased a 1979 IH SCOUT II, that had a plow (minus all hydraulics). It really is a project, but I thought I would get it road worthy THROUGH ON A PUMP, drive around with the top off in the summer......Then plow my driveway and my mother-in-law's as needed.

Well, that got boring fast.......Did minimal work to it and through it back onto e-bay again. This time I got a high bid of 3 times what I paid for it.............NICE HUH........

It gets better.........the KID comes to pick it up........"Oh it needs more work than I thought, I don't want it"..............I said, it's an auction pal...........So I said forget it and be on your way..........." Now I'm back to the "LET'S get it plow ready" stage again.

Here's what I know:
    1979 SCOUT II, 304 v8It has the Plow Myers ST-84, the frame to hook it up to, the plow lights and the controls. All it's missing ARE ALL OF THE HYDRAULICS.

The truck is a rust bucket, but it's cool. The plow shows sign of rust as well.What I'm looking for is Opinions of EXPERIENCE plow FOLKS. Right now I'm torn between:
    1. Do I hunt around for a used pump, rams and hydraulics (So far unsuccessful at finding local places - East Stroudsburg, PA 18301)or
    2. Just get a whole new Myers set-up (Actually USED) . I'm assuming that my existing frame should allow the mounting of another MYERS plow.
    3. Not too sure about Myers now, with some of the forums I've read. Or do I get a whole OTHER system
    4. Scrap the entire idea and sell the SCOUT, and dig out the snow blower.

Honestly, I really don't need a truck and a plow, but it's a nice toy and maybe someday it could get restored.....Who Knows..........

Now that I've babbled on, I am seeking opinions, Good, Bad, Right or Wrong.

Thanks in advance for your input............PMAK1998

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

If it was me,I would get a new or used hydraulic pump (engine driven),a control valve and hook it all up myself.Engine driven hydraulics are virtually bulletproof.You may be able to find some used stuff in a wrecking yard.Would be a lot better than the slow Meyer pump setup.

Another option would be to get a Meyers pump,and bolt it on.That would be the easiest way.You could also use a Western or Fisher pump unit as well,and get the corresponding controls.

Either way it's going to cost you some money,so the first decision to be made is whether you really want to plow,and invest money into that particular truck to do so.

Oh...and Welcome to Plowsite :waving:

3. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Welcome to plowsite .That truck will be alrite for just plowing 1 or 2 driveways.Try to find a used E-47 pump which is pretty easy to find you can look on EBAY for cheap parts.Meyers plows work very well for me ,they never give me any problems.

4. PMAK1998

PMAK1998 Junior Member

I knew this was going to be a COOL site. Thanks for the responses, they were informative and quick. So far, I'm leaning towards just getting my current plow operational, by finding the pump and such.

I look forward to surfing this site, to see what good stuff I can find.

Thanks,

Paul :)

:waving:

5. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

look on ebay
    you may be able to get a used e-47 for under 300.00
    and look for used control

cardoctor

6. PMAK1998

PMAK1998 Junior Member

Hi Car Doctor,

Thanks for the response. I've been looking on e-bay for weeks. The best I've found so far is a used E47 pump only for $450.00. I have the switches, but also need to get the hoses and power angle pistons.

Thanks for the input.

Thanks,

Paul:salute:

7. szorno

szorno Senior Member

PMAK1998- I have an E47 that works that I would let go cheap. (<$300)I would recommend getting and E57 conversion for it. Check your A frame for the ears to mount the angling cylinders. If you have them you are 50% there. If not, you need to swap both the A-frame and quadrant for power angling models. (or gear up for some significant welding) Some dealers have used angling cylinders. I know one in Colorado has some because I sold em to him. Email me if you want the E-47 or the Colo used plow dealer info.:waving:

8. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

Here in Maine, the local NAPA stores sell plow parts (hydrolic rams & hoses, pins, springs, etc. -- not sure about pumps)
    You'd have to check to see which brand plows they cover, but if the plow parts are priced similarly to the auto parts, then there could be a significant savings over original equipment.

BTW, I plow my driveway and my neighbor's with a '53 Willys Pickup with a Fisher power angle/belt-driven pump. It's a real nice set up. My second choice was a Scout -- always liked those trucks.

Jeff Pierce

EDIT: I copied and pasted the following ad from a local want-ad digest:

7' Fisher quick switch plow came off int. scout 1977 good cond single lever everything from push plates to pump complete hook up $400 Fayette, ME

Contact Information

207-685-9562

Granted, it's in Maine, so probably not too helpful to you. Just thought I'd let you decide.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2003
  9. PMAK1998

PMAK1998 Junior Member

Scott - Thanks for the info. Yes, I am interested in the E-47 and the rams/pistons. Please e-mail me @ the_smiths_30@hotmail.com and cc paul_f_smith@bd.com....this way I'm sure to get it. If you could tell me how much you want for the pump, and the contact # for that has the pistins. Thanks again for the response. If I don't hear a POSTING, I'll e-mail you as soon as I can.....Really Hectic these days...........

I'm not too sure what the E57 kit entails, but who knows. I believe the plow is already set-up for teh power angle rams, so I guess that's a good thing (for a change).

TVPIERCE - Thanks for your response too. I didn't even think of NAPA, great idea. I wish that ad was from my area, I'd probably jump on it, but that just a "LITTLE TOO FAR" for me, but thanks anyway.

Ya, the SCOUT is kind of cool. Now all I need to do is get it street worthy and get the plow up and going....................

Thanks for the reponses,

Paul

:cool:

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

The E-57 conversion kit is about $3200.00,and gives you an E-60 motor,new pump,wiring harness,and necessary install stuff.It's not to hard to do,and makes the old E-47 a lot quicker.

The kit part number is 15869

11. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I think its $320.00 not $3200 .

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

Oops ! Typo,it should have been $320.00 :eek: