1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Inquiring Minds.........Beginner needs info

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PMAK1998, Aug 19, 2003.

1. PMAK1998

PMAK1998 Junior Member

Hello Everyone,

This looks like a very COOL site. Let me start my SAGA......

I'm not really NEW to plowing, but it's been 10+ years since I used to plow snow for others.................

I recently purchased a 1979 IH SCOUT II, that has a plow (minus all hydraulics). It really is a project, but I thought I would get it road worthy, THROUGH ON A PUMP (Easy huh......), drive around with the top off all summer......Then plow my driveway and my mother-in-law's as needed.

Well, that got boring fast.......Did minimal work to it and through it back onto e-bay again. This time I got a high bid of 3 times what I paid for it.............NICE HUH........

The KID comes to pick it up........"Oh it needs more work than I thought, I don't want it"..............

I said, it's an auction pal...........FORGET IT.

Now I'm back to the "LET'S get it plow ready" stage again.

Here's what I know:

1979 SCOUT II, 304 v8
    It has the Plow Myers ST-84, the frame to hook it up to, the plow lights and the controls. All it's missing ARE ALL OF THE HYDRAULICS. The truck is a rust bucket, but it's cool. The plow shows sign of rust as well.

What I'm looking for is Opinions of EXPERIENCE plow FOLKS. Right now I'm torn between:

1. Do I hunt around for a used pump, rams and hydraulics (So far unsuccessful at finding local places - East Stroudsburg, PA 18301)or
    2. Just get a whole new Myers set-up (Actually USED) . I'm assuming that my existing frame should allow the mounting of another MYERS plow.
    3. Not too sure about Myers now, with some of the forums I've read. Or do I get a whole OTHER system
    4. Scrap the entire idea and sell the SCOUT, and dig out the snow blower.

I really don't need a truck and a plow, but it's a nice toy and maybe someday it could get restored.....Who Know..........

Right now, the truck isn't even road worthy. You need to give it a shot of starting fluid to get it to start, and it needs brake work....(Low Soft Pedal)

Now that I've babbled on, I am seeking opinions, Good, Bad, Right or Wrong.

Thanks in advance for your input............

PMAK1998