1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Input please, Meyer poly attack angle has changed, pics included

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by DesMoines2500, Mar 18, 2013.

1. DesMoines2500

DesMoines2500 Senior Member

Getting ready for a potential storm this weekend in Des Moines and I noticed that the angle my plow is sitting on the ground at has changed. It's much more inclined now. This must've happened during the last storm but I didn't notice until now. Any idea what is causing this? The springs are even compressed back when before they were snug.

It sits like this even when it's raised off the ground and I've tried pulling the top forward and it doesn't budge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  2. DesMoines2500

Well, whatever caused that, a good whack into a curb fixed it.

[​IMG]

3. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

Yeah, in the center there are stops, my guess is the pins are warn and allowed it to go over the stops. I would start with the pins, bent or warn.

4. DesMoines2500

Can you direct me to exactly where these pins and stops are? Under the blade?

5. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

Here is where the pins are and you will probably need to replace the tubes as well.

plow.jpg

6. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

The stop is more like the whole angle iron piece.

7. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

your pins are shot!!

8. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

You are going to be plowing and those pins are going to snap off. I have had it twice and every time in the middle of the night of a storm. I would get new receivers welded on and put new pins in before the next storm.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You will need to install new thicker stops and repair the crossmember. Look at the pictures of the front of the plow. I'm guessing you've twisted/bent/broken the angle iron crossmember. It's possible the pins are frozen and the quadrant is twisted also.

10. DesMoines2500

Sorry, i'm pretty clueless here. What's the cross member you're talking about? I took a good look at it and everything seems to be pretty straight and well attached to my eye.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It will be obvious when you take the unit apart.

12. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

check with your local weld shop, they may have done them before ...i know mine has...it is a maintenence item...they have grease fittings in the new ones...might as well check the king bolt bushing while apart...bet it is worn also

13. leolkfrm

14. DesMoines2500

That's an awesome link thanks. I see from their site that these pins never come out without being cut out. Not looking forward to this!

15. DesMoines2500

OK, i think I have a pretty good handle now on what needs to be done. We are having a 3-6" this weekend, so I'm not going to tear into it until the off season. Hopefully she's got one more shift left in her.

Here's one thing I don't quite get though. Once i remove the trip springs and take pressure off the hinge pins how can I even attempt to hammer the old pins out? Is the inside edge of the pin accessible? the outside edge doesn't stick out of the tube so I can't pound on that.

Basically what I'm asking is, if this old pin is INSERTED into the tube, how the hell could it be pounded out? It doesn't appear that any part of hte inside of hte pin is exposed enough to pound on.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Forget driving them out, you need to cut them out and replace pins and tubes both.

Good luck getting her though one more storm, they don't work or travel well hanging from the springs.

17. DesMoines2500

The pins aren't sheared, it's all working fine. The blade trips, returns and pivots just fine.

The original issue was just that it had returned back over the bumpstops because of backdragging along the curb in front of my house. Tripping it lightly into a curb fixed that and it hasn't happened again. From what I can tell she should be fine but I'd planned on tearing it down and rebuilding this summer anyway. We're gettign 4-7" so one more storm is all I need before shutting it down for the year.

18. leolkfrm

easier to cut them ...recip with metal blade workes well...plan for the worse and hope you catch a break!

19. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

it will still trip with frozen pins the reason for this is the pins are not rusted solid in both tubes which will allow it to trip and while doing this the pin is being cut and it will shear off and the divot in the blade is from the king bolt hitting it due to the worn pins. its an inexpensive repair if you do your own welding and even if you don't weld paying someone is still easier than repairing your truck due to the pins shearing and the blade folding up under your truck. the pins are worn and need replaced.

20. DesMoines2500

Thanks all. She made it through the last storm and everything here points to spring finally arriving so I'll tear her completely down this summer and go through everything. The pins do look greasy so maybe I'll get lucky and they won't be seized into their tubes.