1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Input on what plow to get

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NEUSWEDE, Dec 31, 2003.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I am just getting into the plowing business yet, I am not doing it this year but will next winter. My question is on what plow I should get? I will be Buying a GMC Sierra 2500 HD in the spring and will be getting a plow either in the summer or the fall. I am in between the Fisher X Blade, Blizzard 810 or the straight Blade Boss with trip edge. I will be doing resdential and commercial and will be using the plow for a bunch of years and want something depenable and strong. What are your imputs or suggestions? I am leaning toward the blizzard 810 because it is a straight plow and I am not interested in V plows and that I can extend it and bend forward to push and pile snow. The cost isn't a factor but I want something that will work well for plowing in a Maine Winter. Also just so I know about what are the prices for each (ballpark)? Again price isn't a issue but just interested.
    Thanks in advance

Even though it is far off I am asking now because many people won't be on the board when I make my decision.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Dylan, if you want to discuss each in depth contact me. I have quite a bit of literature for each and have some practical advise that might help you. If you wanted to, come up and we could meet in my office. I'm free about any time. This is a full time career for me. I'm in Palermo - east of Augusta on Rte 3.

I'm around all year.

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

you should get a western ultra mount pro plow 7.5 or 8.0
  4. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

yeah, if he likes spending all of his time plowing. if however you are like the owners of the blizzard 810's and like getting more accounts done per day( read more money) then you will go with an 810, especially if money is no object. you can buy an 810 for around 4500 i suppose.
  5. PLOWMAN45

well i had this argument i don't like blizzard plows but if i wanted i could buy a Daniel's plow 14ft for a bobcat with adj wings like blizzard and smoke you guys its my opinion and the western is 3900
  6. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Do a search on this site, this topic has been discussed a million times, well maybe not quite a million, but a bunch.

Best of luck to you !!
  7. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Spend time at your nearest dealer and see if you can work with him. If you have warranty or followup issues, it will be easier if the dealer is cose to you. Also, my local dealer stay open late before and during storms, offering swap out pumps, hoses and emergency service which has earned him my business. Don't torture him on price as he can be a strong ally if you have a problem or make a mistake in the beginning of your plowing career. He is a small business person like yourself. He needs to make a profit in order to service your equipment on an ongoing basis. This is very important as you get started and only have one vehicle. I do commercial work, (office buildings) with two of my employees and and we have 4 vehicles rigged w/ plows. In 20 years we have only needed the back up vehicle a few times but it made the difference in service to my clients. We have earned their business and they do not shop our price but value our service. Good luck and stay away from apartment complexes. The lots always have cars and complaining tenant who want you to hand shovel out heir cars and then they take sue you for every dent and scratch.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I know it has been discussed a million times,

Because I have read them all, I haven't asked much around here or replied just taken a lot in, I just wanted people with setups like I will have to give what they think. I don't want it to turn into a battle over which is best which others I have seen have. I just want people to give pros and cons on their setups and if they could redo if they would start over. I am not looking to find out which will be the best. Just looking to see what people like and don't like so I can make my judgement from there. My feeling is no matter how much you spend or what you get, there is always something about any product that is missing or you don't like. For example I saw the 810 can have snow gunk up in the wings and allow them not to work and you have to hop out and clean the snow out. And I have seen that the westerns are smaller at 8ft which is a disadvantage with how much snow you can push. I have searched just looking for people with 3/4 or 1 ton truck to comment on their plows with commercial use and tell me about it.
    thanks in advance and sorry for being long winded!
  9. rewoodworking

rewoodworking Senior Member

just got a unimount 7.5 pro very nice heavy dudy
  10. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Dylan: As far as the 810 wings sticking. You are thinking of the early 02's and some 03's which used 2 small pistons to operate each wing. The new 810's use one bigger piston now for each wing which has fixed that problem.
    I run a 3500 GMC and a 2004 810 Power Plow as a sub contractor and I get the highest rate they pay and the shopping center prime locations because I can out plow all their other rigs including a big 4wd tractor with a 12' blade. The problem is my competitors are catching on, and buying them too,. I am also adding a SnowMan back drag plow for driveways and loading docks and dead ends to stay ahead of them. I believe in leading, not following. You will never regret getting an 810. Feel free to Pm me anytime to discuss snowplows. I have been doing this for 32 years and am still learning something every day. As far as conditions in Maine. We here in Nova Scotia have the same conditions, wet snow. As far as prices go the 810 runs more money but it will return you more money many times over.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2003
  11. chevy guy37

chevy guy37 Member

I have never owned another plow in my entire life but a western.
    I would have to say they are the most popular plows there is. I have owned 5 diffrent westerns from starting my biz. I currently have three.
    1.) seven 1/2 foot uni mount
    2.) seven 1/2 foot poly pro plow
    3.) eight 1/2 foot ultra mount
    I havent had one problem with the ones have. I would'nt go back to any other plow. Im sure the boss and fisher plows are good. Im not totally a big fan of the blizzared plows. I cant really see a blizzared plow being way better than a western/boss/fisher. I think they are all great products. But anyway, Western is the way to go.

SNOWPIMP Member

I wanna know about the 810 how do you back drag Docks or Garage doors? If you don't have the room to straighten it out! Do they fold back?
  13. Bolts Indus.

The wings retract back in to make it 8' wide. Activated from your controller and hydraulicly moved by a piston. Blizzardplows.com
  14. quincy33

quincy33 Member
    from toronto

:eek: if you do a lot of back dragging, check out a hinnicker plow from minnesota, it folds in half to get real good scrape with good weight, plus you can drive with it in a more aerodynamic position.
  15. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

im like bolts, i hate to see my competition get an 810. and once again, somebody like chevy guy is saying he doesnt like an 810, dont know how he can say that since he doesnt own one. if you are smart and want to get more done, you will go with the 810. i know, i own two westerns and two blizzards and when you plow all day with an 810 and go to a western, you feel like your running a marathon carrying another person. as far as the wings sticking, i've never had that problem.sure, there are extra wires that COULD be a problem but as of yet they havent been. for an extra 600 dollars, believe me, you wont be disappointed. like its been said before, i think, nobody that has bought one has ever wished he would have bought a straight blade instead. i think thats a pretty powerful statement. i've got a freind that i compete with that bought an 810 this fall, i guess he saw how fast i could do a lot and now hes got one. just my .02, rob
  16. Bolts Indus.

Thanks for the back up. Soon there will be two kinds of plowers.

Those who have Blizzard 810's and those who wish they did.
  17. PLOWMAN45

yeah ok i wish i had a blizzard NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  18. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

I like this one

19. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Wrong pic, LOL

This one........

20. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

The Boss.:D