1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Input on truck purchase OBS or Superduty

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by snowdays, Dec 28, 2011.

1. snowdays

snowdays Senior Member
    from Ohio

I currently have a '99 F250 with a V10. I have owned a couple of the Superdutys and overall like them but am disappointed with the common problems on them...door bottoms rusting, exhaust manifolds and studs, ball joints, wheel bearings. I have been looking at the '97 and earlier trucks concentrating on the '96 and '97s. I found a really nice '97 extended cab from out west with no rust. It is the shortbox which I like. The only trouble with it is it has the 460. I would prefer the 351. I guess i am leaning towards the older body style thinking it was better. Any thoughts.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I still like the superduties. I was never a fan of the idfs of the older ones. I did work on a few 460s before and they had the same manifold issues. The ones were from the chi area so they had the same rust and rot as well. Imo the later sd's were a little better then tje 99s. The manifolds rusting is a fairly easy fix, just need a fender shield, FYI

3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I have a 97 F-350 with a 460 I use for plowing and towing a mower trailer in the summer.
    I was hesitant about the 460 but I couldn't pass up the the truck/deal. I was very surprised with the fuel mileage after driving it for about a month, I consistently get 11-12mpg running around empty or pulling a 3k trailer. When I pull my big trailer it drops to 10mph and plowing I get about the same.
    When you figure the difference between the cost of Diesel vs Gas and the difference of the mileage you get it ends up being wash.
    The 351 will get you better mileage (not by much) while running empty but when you start to work the motor it'll drop significantly.
    Now keep it mind driving habits and the type of driving you do really plays into the mileage you get. I run mainly county roads with very little stop and go and I don't pull a bunch of hills either.

If it was me I'd go with the OBS, I also have a 08 with a 6.4 PSD in it and like both trucks for different reasons.

4. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

Superduty all the way in my opinion, just because of the upgrades over the obs. You also have to figure rust normally is worse on a older truck.

5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Sound like you need a power washer Open your door when you are washing your truck I own 3 99 SD none mine are rusting