1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Input on this tailgate unit...

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by wilsonsground, Nov 1, 2012.

1. wilsonsground

wilsonsground Senior Member

Looking at this tailgate unit, never really heard too much good about tailgate units. I will be using bagged material if I buy this unit. Guy wants $200 for it, he says its the unit that just gets wired up to a toggle on off switch. Anyone have any information on this? I only do some driveways, ive got a nice walk behind spreader for when its landscape season that works excellent, but it takes too long sometimes getting in and out of the truck running up the driveway with the push spreader so I want something faster for the little that I do. Any help would be excellent. also the guy said he'll buy a bag of salt and put it through so i can see it work.

IMG_0102.JPG

2. chevy2500meyer

chevy2500meyer Member

those spreaders are decent excellent for driveways and very very small parking lots. The motors and frame arent ths best to overload, the motors last about a season and the cheap powdercoat sucks. I would suggest buying a used controller( meyer dial unit or buyers dial or whateve) just depending on what your looking to spend and always talk them down because if you got no harness its going to be a pain to do.

3. wilsonsground

Ya I always talk people down on used stuff especially if all the stuff isn't there. He says its controlled by a toggle on off switch, I've never heard of a unit being powered that way, usually they have a control I thought?

4. chevy2500meyer

chevy2500meyer Member

Yeah I have seen then with an on and off switch buy I look at that kinda doing it cheap. And idk how much power is going to the salter. An actual controller imo gives you more control over power and your always getting the minimum power to spread salt.

5. wilsonsground

I just did some research on it, found out what model it was, it's a manual open close should. That's useless to me still have to get in out of truck to use it then

6. chevy2500meyer

chevy2500meyer Member

Yeah a harness is easy to make but its usually nice to have everything you can bolt on and run with. I bought the larger model tgs05 and I got the mounting brackets,controller, connectors for like $500 I obviously painted it and made a harness for like $13 mounting everything was more of a pain (since I did not remove).