1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Input on Seasonal Pricing

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by rebelplow, Jan 30, 2008.

1. rebelplow

rebelplow Senior Member

Hey everyone, I've been following this site for a couple months, and now I have a question on pricing. I'm trying to price a parking lot like this drawing. It is not to scale. All of the white needs to be plowed, and can be put in any green area. Green areas are Curbed concrete and grass islands and must be plowed Around or have snow stacked on them.

For reference:
    175,000 square feet
    404 parking spaces
    Note: Parking area is Never free of vehicles. ON any given storm there will be 20-50 cars filling bottom spots and the spots closest to the building.. and another 10-20 scattered about in the other random spots.
    Rough distances
    Left side of pic: parking top to bottom 525'
    Top of pic: parking far left corner to far right corner 800'
    Bottom of pic: parking between 2 entrances on bottom 500'

I'm looking for what You would price this lot for seasonally.
    5 months: Nov 1-April 1.
    Average snowfall of 55" and
    17 occurances per season.
    2" trigger
    Keeping Lanes open during the storm,
    plowing all open spaces, and returning 12 hours later to clear spaces vehicles were occupying.

Separate price for salt spreading. Property supplies material. Just the spreading with a bulk spreader. Thanks.
    [/FONT]

parking.JPG

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  2. rebelplow

rebelplow Senior Member

No replies? I know you guys love giving your opinions. I know all the factors and costs that it would cost me. Insurance, fuel per hour, overhead, profit..etc.
    So here is my simple request. Use all your formulas, and just give me your price to plow this lot.

3. snowfighter75

snowfighter75 Senior Member

I do not plow comercially and I might not be even close but I was thinking $4-$5000 rang for the season. I was figuring at $3-$400 a pop.

4. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

u didnt tell us what ur plowing it with? truck wise

5. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

yea gotta know what your plowing with. truck and plow size.

6. rebelplow

rebelplow Senior Member

Thanks snowfighter... that's what I was wondering.

kgr & plowman I know what I have. I've a Chevy k2500 with 8 1/2 ft western, no payments.
    I'd like to know what You would charge, with the equipment You have.

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

What your plowing it with, has nothing to do with price. The building owner wants it plowed, he doesn't care if it takes you 5 min with a 16 ft pusher or 3 hours with an ATV.

8. rebelplow

rebelplow Senior Member

Exactly JD. I'm just looking from the standpoint of being the owner...putting it out to bid. What would you/ and or your company that you plow with, would charge to do that lot.

9. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

I would say $7,500 for the season would be right in the ballpark it looks like their is a lot of tight areas that might require a skid loader. I also think 17 pushes for the twin cities is a little high, the last 5 years 10 seems to be a good average. Hope this helps.

10. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

thats roughly 4 acres at 1 acre an hour x $150/hr x 17 plows a year= $10200 for the season. we don't average 17 pushes a year but use that # to make up for the 8" snowfalls that you will be plowing and the open ups you have to do during the day. this still may be littler low might want to factor in travel and the 1 acre an hr is simas production rate for wide open lots might be closer to 6 hr at $150 X17=$15300> I can lay in bed and make no money not gonna work my a$$ off to make no money.

11. rebelplow

rebelplow Senior Member

This is interesting. I like all the input so far. Yes, I agree that 17 full pushes might be high. i like seeing all the varying degrees of prices. Keep em coming guys.

TK- did you bid that off of the 17 pushes, or your average of 10 pushes?

Snowman- I like your way of thinking. I have the same one "I can lay in bed and make no money not gonna work my a$$ off to make no money."

12. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

I based it on 13 pushes which was $535 per time. I was just saying that ten seems to be a good way to gauge actually how many times you will plow.

13. rebelplow

rebelplow Senior Member

Alright TK. That sounds reasonable. I just wanted to clarify your plow amounts.

14. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Ok guys. I am going to crap out on this one. I wouldn't touch this one with a ten foot pole. 50 cars in slots during a heavy storm. All you need to do is hit one and your going to be buying some guy with a broke down car something he can drive. Reminds me of when I was doing the Casa Apts here. About the same size. I did it for three seasons until I wised up and realized it wasn't worth it. Not one season went by that I didn't get called at leats three times for hitting someones car. It never happened but I had to pay just the same. The liability in a lot like this is unbelievable because the management is going to believe the renter before he does you. Just my 2 cents.

15. hikeradk

hikeradk Senior Member

No fun to me

I agree that the runways are the only thing you have control of. It's not the same as a business with lots of urn over in cars or empty lots in early morning. In a residential lots are full at that time. If I am running a skid steer small equipment it will be a lot better you will have to have the right equipment.