1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

input on Daniels and Arctic Sectional

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Greenscape USA, Oct 7, 2012.

1. well looking into the bigger plows this year... coming down to the last minute and of course, theres always the last minute decisions.

ive talked to a few guys that have ran arctics and a few guys that have ran daniels. both have said they loved them and they wouldnt use anything else. i cant seem to find anyone that has ran both.

obviously one of the biggest factors is price. overall daniels basic wing plow averages about $5,000.00 dollars more per plow over the price of arctic sectionals.

i have two lots that id be doing this year and they are both shopping malls. ideally, id need two 18ft (roughly) blades on one site, and one 16-18ft blades on the other site. both lots are asphalt pavement, and both are relatively flat.
    i guess what im really looking for is productivity.

ive learned that the arctics cut down quite a bit on salt usage, but daniels have the ability to angle, therefor leaving less runoff and not having to make another pass (wasted time) to clean up the mess you left behind.

what im really looking for is just more input from you guys that have ran either or both of them. anything is nothing!

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

how long are your runs?

3. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

We bought our first arctic last winter and we were very happy with it...but better yet our customers were very happy with it. By the end of the season last year I had gotten plenty of calls from our customers requesting that we use that plow on there lot every time. We added a second one for this winter and still have one rubber edge pusher that hopefully we will phase out next year. I would like to have a angle plow as well for some accounts so I'm kinda in the same boat as far as that goes.

4. Looks like its going to average out right around 200ft per swipe. Our trigger is also 2 inches as opposed to 3, so that will make a big difference as well..

5. What kind of a loader are you using with the arctic?

6. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

if you have the valves on the loader, why not get a movable wing plow like a horst or machinability plow? Then you have the best of both worlds. We dont own our loaders so a std box plow is what works for us as all machines can just chain up and go

7. well that was the other thing. the cat loaders that i have reserved do have that valve. as far as the movability of a plow on the front of it, that would be one of the biggest advantages of a daniels plow.

as far as the horst plows... i did actually see my first couple threads on here yesterday after searching around about those plows. i couldnt find much on them but from what it seemed like there was a lot of guys up in canada that were using them. are they available in the states? is their price very comparable to daniels and arctic?

8. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

we are running cat 924Hs and run the 14' pushers with quick attach. I have been looking at the horst blades for a few years now and done a lot of research on them. I think they are a very high quality blade and seems that everyone that had one loves them. I have done some pricing and they are very expensive. If I recall right two years ago when I checked I could get a 5200 snowing for around 18 grand. Ouch

9. all morning today ive been searching around and trying to figure out some more with them and they definitely look like theyd be the way to go... but havent been able to find out anything on pricing since all of canada is shut down today haha but i would be looking at two of those 5200's and if theyre 18000 each...wow...i think thats a little too high. especially when the 19' arctics are only 10,500 and the 18; daniels wing plows are 15,000. but then again, since im in ohio, i have a feeling im going to pay at least 5,000 to bring it here from canada.
    so then again, im looking at buying 3 of them. 3 arctics would only be 30,000......3 daniels would be 45000 and 3 horst would be 54000 plus an additional (roughly) 5 to ship so id be looking at 60,000 if i were to go with the horst. basically double 3 arctics.

its just so hard to choose becasue all these videos make each plow look incredible and its also very hard to find people that have used more than one of them. usually the people will buy one kind, and stick to it just because of how exceptional they are and they figure that the others cant compare, you know?

10. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

I hear you on that. We are switching to arctics cause like you said...they work good for us so thats what we stick with. Would be nice to have unlimited cash flow so we could buy one of each and try them all. I just wish i could demo a horst but my dealer wont stock them..just order them. Titan machernary is a dealer in the states for them.

11. 1olddogtwo

12. IDOCTORTREES

IDOCTORTREES Senior Member
    from MONTANA

We have each .Both are good plows

13. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

just the answer he was looking for.:)

14. Haha very vague... Any pros and cons between the two? I've read from everyone that they're 'good' I wanna know what you think makes them good! And why/if you would choose one over the other.

And yes, iceman is about 4hrs from me in Cincinnati... I've been emailing him back and forth, we might be working something out but not sure yet. He's the main reason I'm even considering arctic. Well that, and the local CAT dealer just started stocking arctic sectionals with the cat name on them too.

15. 1olddogtwo

They are a official attachment this year for CAT. The ones in CAT color has some minor changes too them.

16. Is that good changes or bad changes? They are about 800 dollars more.. Each.. But any other changes besides cat yellow and a few giant cat stickers on them??

17. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

We sold all of our Arctic product and bought 8 12-18 snow wings for 621 Case payloaders. We tried one last year and loved it. Sometimes a company has to make an investment in what they believe in. For some competitive Horst pricing Call Jeff at Stewarts Equipment 519 833 9616. He also is an Arctic dealer so you can get some feedback from him on his preferance on the best product for your application. Good luck. Doug.

18. snowwiz

snowwiz Junior Member

Ive been using artic for three years now and Im very happy with the performace. Im also happy with the amount of salt we save bc the artic scrape down to blacktop giving us maximum spread from our salt spreaders. Ive got a couple used ones (if your from ohio, you know they got 0 hrs on them last year) pm me if you want some pricing

19. okay will do

20. i mean they definitely look like an excellent idea, but i dont understand how they can be that much more. a 16ft that extends up to 22 ft is $19500 from the two closest dealers to me. i mean thats basically 5 grand more than a daniels and i thought the daniels was pretty pricey, let alone this. i can almost get two arctics for the price of one of the horst plows, and from what its looking like, it seems as if everyone loves the arctics because of how clean they scrape/how much less salt they use...