1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Input on another new to me style job

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by J.R. Services, Nov 4, 2010.

1. J.R. Services

J.R. Services Senior Member

Got a call for an estimate on a 104 home, i guess you'd called it an HOA, for driveways and sidewalks. They are new duplexes, 75-85% of the duplexes have two single car garage doors(the rest are only have one), and the driveways are next to each other seperated only by a 8"x6' strip of grass or stone. The road will be taken care of by the city and the alley will be taken care of by the builders. They driveways are way too small for a truck, so I'm thinking knocking most of it out with 4-wheelers and touching up with snow blowers or shovels. So the real question is what kind of time am I looking at for the driveways. I'd have at least 2 4-wheelers with plows possibly a 3rd or a john deere gator with plow and 2-3 snow blowers. Thanks for the help

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Does new = developer has control and no money like it does here? If they called you out of the blue I'd wonder why. If you can use 4 wheelers and a gator why is it too small to backdrag out?

3. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

How short is short?, an longae29 asked is it a HOA, or the Developer wanting this done?? we would use a Skid loader on something that size . we have a couple 54 unit ones that we use ATVs on but the driveways are like 20' long an the units across the streets drives don't line up an the streets are only 20' wide. so we can't use a truck to back drag Due to all your trucks being 3/4 long boxes or C.C. which makes them way to long to try to back drag with a normal plow.

4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

use a skid steer with a blower. u can control where u put the snow there is no where else to put the snow. good luck.

5. J.R. Services

the two driveways put together are about 25x50 and the alley is too skinny to probably even drive down with my dually. I was also thinking about using the back blade on my tractor to drage away from the doors and then push it off to the side with a 1/2ton plow truck or compact loader tractor etc... Does $7 per drive sound right maybe 10. Somewhere between $728 and $1,040 just for drives?

The customer is the builder/developer/president of the HOA, and i know people that have worked with him before and say that he pays good and in a timely manner. He and his crew usually do the snow but are working on many projects out of town and dont have the time this year

6. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

skid steer and push pull box... blowers are nice but they always leave snow that has to be shoveled in front of the garage door.

7. J.R. Services

What do you all think time or price wise?

8. J.R. Services

Anybody?

I'm thinking a 8' pull box behind a tractor, 2 snowblowers/shovelers, 1-2 atv's with 4' plows for the 9000+ feet of sidewalks and a plow truck? 5 crew members total. Anybody want to guess on total time

9. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Be better is we could see a image of the property to give you a better idea on what it may take!!, Also depends on what your overhead is, what you want to pay guys, What's the area market you live in is paying?? If you have been a sub take your old pay an tack on 15%-20% more or so??, Most of us don't know what your market is getting for plowing, sdwks , sanding/salting, liquid. How much do you want to charge to do the leg work to get this job, (I.E. tracking subs, getting time sheets in, billing, call backs on where your money is, dealing with phone calls of them bitching or wanting you back to do something). So market up so you can grow hire people, Put on more equipment of your own, Crap like that. Just don't lowball it!!! long winded story short . (WHAT IS YOUR TIME WORTH)

10. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I'll second that!

11. J.R. Services

Heres the picture, the scale is to 100'

[​IMG]

I really dont want help with the actual price, just help estimating the time and i can estimate the price from there.

Thanks again for all the help so far. This is an interesting place

12. Kollen Parsons

Kollen Parsons Junior Member

Who does the walks here? All that common walk screams $$$$.

Sidewalks - I estimate roughly 40,000sf of walks....all of them (can't see the entire picture).

How many per hour with the wheeler?
    7hrs with a wheeler w/ plow for the common walks
    5-10hrs for the walks to the doors depending on how you do them.
    Total:
    $480 - $680 + deice (12 bags) + add time to apply.
    = $637.32 - $877.32 to do the walks!

Plowing:
    It will depend on where you can put the snow!
    Without complications:
    5 minutes a drive with a skid and push/pull box (x) 104 = 8.67hrs (you may beat this)
    Roughly 12,000sf of "alley" plowed = 1hr or less
    Misc time to tidy up and shovel out the 1-3' in front of the garages if needed 104 (x) 1-2 manual minutes each on an average snow + time to tidy up the property = 3.47hrs max at shovel rate - 1 at machine rate

9.67 machine hrs @ your rate
    3.47 shovel hrs @ your rate
    13+ total hrs
    2 skids and a walk guy.....you'll be done in under 5 Hrs.
    Here it would be $1000+ per average occurence

The "city" always plows them (driveways) back in...do you get to charge extra to fix it?
    Blowing and drifting correction?
    Will you be responsible for Mailboxes and fire hydrants?

Based on our average snowfalls and plow pricing here it could be a $16,000 seasonal without the ?????'s above.
    $9.62 Unit per time

$1480 on the low end to do it all ;>)

13. J.R. Services

Thanks Kollen, I'm thinking capping my prices for 6" at a time, after 6" double the price etc... unless they want me to wait until the strom stops.

14. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

i won a bid for a 62 unit hoa with 2 car x 1 carlength drives. will be using an 84" blower on a skid. contract calls for front walkways and garage doors to be shoveled clean anyways.

drove through it last year, comp was using plow trucks and there was no where to put snow. piles were taking up half the driveways. my bid was the second highest and I still won. gotta think outside the box.

15. J.R. Services

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their input on this, I landed the contract, now I just have to fine myself a good skid loader

16. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I dont understand how a blower can leave snow at the front of a driveway/garage door ( i realize it does as I do snow this way) but then confused how a skid or plow backdragging does not leave snow at the driveway/garage door? Congrats on getting the job. Care to share any numbers?

17. J.R. Services

It was enough to make money on, it was around Kollens' numbers. I dont want to share exact because I know some of my comp gets on here

Has anyone had experience with the small skid steers?

18. turb0diesel

turb0diesel Senior Member

Good luck with the gator!

its so slow!

19. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Guess where all the street snow and alley snow is going to end up? That's right, on your walks and in your drives. You will be removing 2-3 times as much snow than what fell originally on those areas. Do you have the timing down as far as when the builder will plow the alleys and when the streets are plowed? If you get in there first, you're going to be doing it all over again. I also think those numbers that were posted were way low. I know why you got the job. I don't think you know what you got yourself into.

20. J.R. Services

I have a clause in the contract that states if we have to clear the alleys or do any other cleanup that is not caused by us and they want it to be cleaned up they will be billed hourly