1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Input needed! Ultra V or Snow Dogg V?

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by soundzplus, Sep 5, 2010.

1. soundzplus

soundzplus Junior Member

Looking to purchase a new setup for an 05 1 ton Chevy. Advantages and disadvantages between the Western Ultra V and the Snow Dogg V? Advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated. I have used Westerns all my life but......the Snow Doggs look promising....

2. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

Nice looking plows, but no trip edge. Would not be on my trucks unless someone could explain how a trip plow works in the v or scoop mode. I see broken stuff (ie truck frame).IMO

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Which one has no trip edge??? The manufacturers claim they both have trip edges. Every Western V of the Aurora era I've seen has a trip edge. Every Snowdogg VX I've ever seen has had a trip edge. Actually every light truck Vee blade I've ever seen except Boss and Snoway have had trip edges, all the others Meyers, Hiniker, Diamond (the oridgional Vee,) excetra are trip edge. They (Snoway and Boss) are the only trip blade Vees on the market.

4. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

I must appoligize. Was just looking real quick and not studying them much. Now that I look at them more closely, I wish that there were dealers closer to me. I would be happy with either one as long as there was good dealer support behind them.

Again, Sorry for shooting off the hip.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You make a excellent point with that statement!:nod:

With-out good LOCAL dealer support life is much harder.

6. soundzplus

soundzplus Junior Member

Looks like I will be going with the Snowdogg. Cash and carry pricing for the Snowdogg VX85 is 4249.00 and for the 8.5 Western Ultra is 4928.00 with the deflectors. Just too hard to pass up a 700.00 savings. They both come with a 2 year warranty and I have dealers within 20 to 30 minutes for service and parts.

7. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

Subscribed....

8. soundzplus

soundzplus Junior Member

WOW! Western is stepping up to the plate. Just got quoted 4549.00 for a new ultra 8.5V cash and carry. Hmmm....what to do now...

9. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

Both are a good product. I have a 9.5 v dogg. Also own Boss and Blizzard. I would put the Dogg up to all of them. The Dogg does stack snow higher cause of chain lift, but the Western is also I beleive. Would probably go with the best dealer.