1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Inoperable 810 Please Help

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by tjcezar, Oct 28, 2008.

1. tjcezar

tjcezar Member

Hooked my 810 up today and it is not working. When I hit the switch at the pump to lift plow up I can hear it click slightly but nothing happens. Ive cleaned all connections and still nothing. Could it be the solenoid? How do I check that to make sure enough power is going to pump (I did have a hot wire come off at the solenoid last year and melt some wires but it did work after that). Any suggestions?

2. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

9 times out of 10 when they wont work it's the plug but you said that its clean. If your solenoid is clicking that should be fine. Did you ever fix your melted wires? Could be a triger wire. Do you have a test light or volt meter to see if power is making it to the motor? Put your tester on the hot and negative wires at the pump to test it. Use your power hitch to activate the pump. It's easy to do by yourself. If your getting power to the motor tap it with a wrench , it might start working! You could also check for power on the truck side of your plug to rule it out. Good luck , shaun

3. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Test light and a couple jumper wires with alligator clips are good things to carry
    Manually trip the solenoid by jumping from the truck side hot wire to the brown wire, small terminal on the solenoid. If that doesnt click the solenoid in and energize pump, ie pump runs, either bad solenoid (no click), or further wire problems or in plug connection.

You could direct jump the plow motor to ensure motor function, but go step by step.

Simple things would be clean/squeeze plug connection together, and possibly need to spread the larger terminals in the plug a bit to make better contact with their female counterparts.

4. tjcezar

tjcezar Member

Ok, if I take a meter to the plow side terminal on the solenoid (of course ground the meter also) and then hit my joystik solenoid should kick and my meter should jump. Right? Mine does not but the acc wire (i think it is green w a stripe) does trip the meter when the meter is hooked up to that. So I am guessing it has to be the solenoid. I also just jumped the wire across the top of the solenoid and the pump engaged. All this leads me to believe it is the solenoid.

5. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

What solenoid do you have? Does it look like a ford starter solenoid, or round and about the size of a campbell soup can? (The latter is the trombetta bear, and the one you want to get)

6. tjcezar

tjcezar Member

round about the size of a tennisball

7. tjcezar

tjcezar Member

dont know what fords look like

8. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

I'm not quite following what you are doing...
    Try to think of it this way. The small terminals on the solenoid, either one, must be energized to make current flow across from one big terminal to the other. I rarely pull out the meter, haven't found a need to. Just a test light, and a jumper wire.

To confirm bad solenoid, make sure you have juice to one big terminal, hook a jump wire to that, and then touch either of the small terminals. If the solenoid doesnt click, and energize other large terminal, you have a bad solenoid. If it does click and pump doesnt engage, problem in large wire somewhere else. (I think I understood you to say jumping big terminal to big terminal makes motor run, so you've confirmed current path to the motor)

Now, if your solenoid is good, you need to confirm continuity of the brown wire from controller to solenoid and solenoid to plow, use multimeter or jumpwire and test light.

9. tjcezar

tjcezar Member

of the 2 small terminals is one a ground? Does it matter witch one?

10. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Ah, yes, you are right, of the small terminals one must be grounded, one must have the brown wire hooked to it. It doesn't matter which one is which, but when you go to test, jump the one with the brown wire. (It was kinda late last night:sleeping:)

11. tjcezar

tjcezar Member

i can not get power to the the large terminal on the plow side and it is a new solenoid