1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Inner pads worn through, outers almost new? 95 K 2500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bgingras, Jan 10, 2010.

1. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

So I had a loud grind from the brakes last night and an immediate pull to the left. Felt like a pad was gone so I picked up a new set on the way home. This morning with below zero wind chills I'm outside pulling the front apart. I pull the passenger tire and see the pad looks new, then I lean over and the inner pad is completely to metal. the caliper on that side was free moving and the piston pressed back smoothly, no binding. So I replaced that side and went to the drivers side...same thing! What gives. What would cause only the inner pads to wear like this with maybe only half of the outer ad wearing down. I had a full 1/4" left before wear indicators on the outer pads. Truck is a 95 K2500HD(8600GVW)

2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

The piston in the caliper may be free moving, but the caliper slides are not. You need to competely disassemble the slides, clean, polish, and lubricate them or replace the calipers. After that the wear will be more even. If the brakes went metal to metal I'll bet the rotors are now junk too/

3. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

the rotors look fine, clean, no scoring. The slides were also free moving, still had lubricant on them when I pulled it all apart, so I'm not entirely sure where the issue is.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The caliper is sticking in the bracket on the knuckle. I usually zip across the contact surfaces with a flap wheel disc to get the rust off. If you are not replacing the calipers, hit them too. Then a bit of brake grease where the surfaces slide together.

5. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

Did all of the above, they move freely. Just seems strange because they were free when I pulled them.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

So if you bolted the calipers in with no pads in, you can move the calipers back and forth with zero resistance?

7. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

In addition to what's been mentioned (caliper mounts and/or sticking sliders), what kind of shape are the rotors in? If the insides are all rotten from road salt that will chew up inboard pads like wildfire.

8. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

The rotors look fine on both sides. I did realize that after looking back it's possible that they had been frozen up for some time but loosened up when replacing ball joints over the last few months. When I replaced the passenger side, the pads looked ok but I didn't check the amount of wear on them in relation to each other. The drivers side was replaced during an alignment and I'm thinking they didn't look either. so now both sides are free and loose and the cause may not have been obvious given other work that had been done in the past.