1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Inner fender replacement

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Mike Fronczak, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak Member

I just bought a '86 K20 most of the body is in good shape. The inner fenders are shot however. Is there an easy way to remove them, or Do I hane to remove outer fenders, I haven't picked up truck yet(tomorrow, hopefully). Just trying to figure out what I'm in for. Needs drivers door to. Rest of truck looks sound, has Fisher (8') with under hood electric pump(fisher) that needs some adjustments. Truck was supposedly restored 4 years ago, (thinking just to look good going down road). Any imput appreciated.
  2. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

They should be all one peice , inner and outter, get new fenders, its much easier.

SCFALL Member

Inner fender

They are a 2 piece unit but you have to remove the outer first but its not too bad of a job scott
  4. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Inner Fender

No need to remove the outer fender to remove the inner. In fact, it is much easier to align the inner fender with the outer still on. Just start all the bolts before tightening anything up. Should be under $50.00 aftermarket, email me if you need a source.

5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The real problem is that the inner fender is usually rusted where it bolts to the outer fender. That means the outer fender is starting to rust out too. May as well replace both. You can get both for less than $100 (minus shipping) so it isn't a bad deal.

Like fastjohnny said, it is easier to bolt them together, and then install them on the truck. IF both sides are rotted, I'd replace both inners and outers on both sides.

Before assembly, you can rustproof the inside of the outer fenders much better than when they are on the truck. In fact, you might want to take them to a body shop to have them rustproofed, and painted before you put them on the truck. Remember, if you do decide to replace the outer fenders, the back side of them, and all the edges have to be painted anyway before you put them on the truck. May as well paint them first.

Also, the nuts are "clips" which are usually VERY rusty, and re-using them, will start the rust process right from day one with the new sheet metal.

You can find a pretty extensive list of available parts here:

As well as some tips on replacing the parts.

6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I fact I have an 86 that I am spraying today, and the inner fenders will be installed on Tuesday, with the fenders already on the truck. I will let you know how that goes. Pretty much just a case of wiggling around to get it all lined up.