1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Inline fuse to controller keeps failing

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by PlowingMI, Feb 23, 2013.

1. PlowingMI

PlowingMI Senior Member

I am running a HD75 on a 2001 GMC 1500, and have been using it for the past three seasons with minimal issues. Until... Last night I went through 5 fuses. I can not reproduce the problem, nor can I see any definite shorts. Thankfully the plow was in the up position when it happened. The only consistencies have been that I have been driving between jobs when this happens. any thoughts?

2. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

These are the worst problems to have (intermittent). I would take the gray wire under the hood (currently plugged into the red/white wire) and plug it back into the gray/black wire - this is probably taped off right now. This will get power from your truck for the plow lights (instead of through the inline fuse). If you have the ambient light sensor on your dash, that will kill your park/turns on the plow during the day (but we're doing this for troubleshooting). If you don't have the ambient light sensor, you can just leave it like that.

If your inline fuse blows at that point,the problem is in the hydraulic harness (truck or plow side). I would suggest a good wiggle test on all connectors and the plow side harness.

However, as it''s only happening while you are NOT using the plow, I'd look at the lighting circuit. Take the cover off of the relay box and see if there is any moisture - make sure it's mounted away from wheel wells, etc. and is not upside down. Water in that box can cause intermittent shorts (and corrosion of course).

To summarize:
    1. Isolate lighting and hydraulics
    2. Inspect closely for shorts/evidence of water