1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Inline fuel filter

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by eamims, Apr 5, 2004.

1. eamims

eamims Junior Member

I'm thinking about taking out my fuel filter (the short one for the Qjet 4bbl) and adding an inline to the hose on the fuel tank side of the fuel pump. My existing threads are pretty much stripped and I figure an inline will be easier to monitor and change in the future.

Any advice on what brand/cat. number to get, or if that is the best place to put an inline. Also, is it best to take out the fuel filter spring if you're not using one at the carb?

my truck:
    1977 c-10, single tank, 350 v8, Q-jet carb, mechanical fuel pump

thanks...and thanks again for the help last month with my surging problem..it ended up being the ignition module.
  2. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

The spring is there to bypass the filter if it gets plugged.
    The fuel pressure will move the filter out of the way if the filter gets plugged so you can still drive the vehicle. (provided that the dirt does not clog the jets while it is bypassing).
    You won't do any harm by leaving the spring in there, and if you decide to reinstall the filter later you won't loose it.

In your situation I would put a fresh one in the carb and then install the in line filter.

The in line filter should catch most of the sediment, and you probably will never need to change the carb filter again.
  3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Agreed. Just head to your local parts store and look on the rack for yourself. Find one with hose barb ends and 3/8" inlet and outlet... unless you have severely modded the engine this will be more than adequate.

Worthy of note, you will want to change the inline filter occasionally (maybe every year or two?) as the one in my Beaumont started to give trouble after a few years (car doesn't get many miles so I was never too concerned about it). The papery element inside started to break down on around year 4 or 5 and started starving the car for fuel at high rpm (it would actually die completely after a 1/4 mile pass) so just plan on changing it as part of regular maintenance and this will never cause grief later on!