1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ink ownthis has been postEd before but

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by pongow26, Nov 23, 2010.

1. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

As of recently every time I raise my plow all my lights dim. I watch the battery gauge and it drops significantly. I have dual batteries but there not hooked up. I do know I probably need a bigger alternator but I have had no major engine work done and the plow is only 3 seasons old. I have a 1998 siverado z71 ext cab. Thoughts ideas would be much appreciates

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Hook up the dual batteries? Check grounds

3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Time for a new alternator.

4. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Dual Batteries ??? But not hooked up ????

WHY ??????????

5. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

I inherited the truck and didnt realize they werent hooked up till now so my thought is that I didnt need two batteries the previous two years why should I need them now? In otherwords I am trying to determine the problem without adding anything. Once I can do that then I will hook them up. I will probably start with the alternator and go from there. Thanks everyone

6. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

i have dual batteries and have upgraded the alternator wire on my 2000 chevy and the volt gauge still drops when I lift the plow; but the lights do not dim though since hooking up the 2nd battery.... I would hook that up, it will help some at least. the alternator might be getting bad, but that isn't likely, probably some corrosion or dirty grounds if anything.

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Unless you spend a ridiculous amount of money, you're just about always going to have the charge meter drop and something dim to some extent when moving the plow. I did NEW 950CCA dual batteries, 220AMP custom alternator, and did HD charge wires with matching grounds and extra grounds in my 97 and still had the volt meter drop and lights dim a little. I certainly helped but that plow motor is drawing A LOT of current and with the amount of electrical components in vehicles these days, there is a lot for batteries and the alternator to keep up with!

8. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Clean all the grounds and make sure the plow wiring is hooked up to the battery terminals, not the electrical takeoffs. Mine does the same thing.