1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Injector O-ring replacement

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by griffithtlc, Oct 30, 2003.

1. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

Well, I thought the truck was ready for anything, but today, a plastic o ring on the injector cracked off. The arrow in the pic will show where it is. I ordered 6 new ones, and was just wondering if you have to pull the whole injector out, or if you just have to pull the line off. Also, the manual calls for a special tool (slide hammer) to pull the injector out. Is this really necessary? Thanks, this forum has already saved me a ton of money!

2. griffithtlc

forgot the pic...

3. griffithtlc

Jeeeeeez! I did it again!

injector.jpg

4. Bighammer

Bighammer Member

That is just a seal to keep dirt and crap out. That "nut" holds the injector further down in the head and there's a space beween the 2 parts. If the seal were completely gone, you might get the "nut" and injector rusted together. (the injector is keyed so it can't spin so it would be a bad thing to have them siezed together)

You could probably pack it back in with a dental pick or small screwdriver and call it good. If you did want to replace them, the injectors can stay put, you only need the lines off of them. (BTW you don't need a special puller for injectors--Just a metric nut that fits and a pair of vise grips)

Removing the injector lines is a pretty big job though. The intake has to come off along with the clamps and a few other little things. The lines are not flexible at all and have to come off as a whole assembly. You have to be carefull that you don't drop anything into the top of the engine or your intercooler hose while you're working. It's also very important that you get no dirt in the injectors, lines or top of the pump (delivery valves) because the injector holes are about the diameter of a hair. Bleeding the air out the injector lines after is not difficult but can be sort of frustrating and dangerous. High pressure fuel can be injected thru the skin and ruin your day. (actually all the rest of them)

If it were mine, i'd slice one of the new seals and pack it around it. (or you could get some 370hp marine injectors and wake up your trucks potential:nod: )

5. griffithtlc

You don't think that they would blow through? Right now, I am losing compression in that cylinder, I can hear and feel air escaping as it compresses. I would rather cut the new ones and pack them in. If it would hold, I will just do that.

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

If your losing compression,then the problem is deeper than that.There is a copper sealing washer under the injector that seals it into the cylinder.Since the lines must come off together,then I'd do them all.I also recommend an injector upgrade if you going to the trouble to pull them out.You don't have to go all the way up to a 370 injector.Check on Ebay for a something used,or Piers may have something for you.Try www.piersdiesel.com

7. Bighammer

Bighammer Member

Maybe try undo the nut and retorque. It might help--Worth a try.

I love the quick and dirty fixes:D

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Matt, if you upgrade injectors id skip the 370's and go with a set of 96-98 215hp injectors,the pattern is better,they smoke much less,they are a lot more driveable and there is only a small hp penalty to pay,but you can use the power with smoking when you want to. #70s are awesome,i just dont think there the best for you and what you do with your truck.

9. griffithtlc

Actually, now that I really look at it, I think the nut might have backed off a bit. I figure if that backed off, all the compression was on the o ring/dust shield, which caused that to break and pop off. I'll take the lines off and see, hopefully that's all it is, as when it is cold, and all the fuel isn't burning I can see the mist blowing out the top. Thanks guys

10. griffithtlc

Wugh Wugh Wugh Wugh, do you hear that?...she's back! Thanks guys, the nut did back off, but I had to take the lines off anyway, so I replaced all the seals. I would have bought bigger injectors, but the payup wasn't there:( Thanks again