1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

information

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by davidc, Jun 10, 2009.

1. davidc

davidc Junior Member

Hi All, We are not really in the plow business for profit ,However as a kinda remote hot springs lodge/conference center ,we need to plow 10 miles of paved Forest Service rd, and 2-3 mile of gravel logging type rd, to stay in business year round here in the Oregon Cascades.
    So .. we are new to this as we just bought a International "CAL Trans" 5 yrd with plow and sander. We used to contract out the paved plowing.
    We will need to keep it clear from white line to white line, with turnouts, 3 bridges to cross and sand the icy spots, thats just the basics as im sure there is all kinds of things that we are not aware of yet.
    We are looking for instructional cds/vidios etc. .. maybe even a school/workshop etc, and /or any experience based information.
    Thanks
    David C

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

So what is your question?

3. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Are you looking for advice? As far as "instructional video/cd" goes, I dont think you will have much luck finding one of those. Just put what you said in the form of a question and Im sure either I or many of the experienced drivers can help you.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

There is an organization (Snow and Ice Management Association or SIMA) that has a video of what you're looking for:

http://www.sima.org/storelistitem.cfm?itemnumber=1

5. davidc

davidc Junior Member

Thanks for your SIMA suggestion , it looks like just the thing we need to get started with.
    davidc

6. davidc

davidc Junior Member

Molded Rubber Blades

We are interested in learning about how the molded rubber blades [cutting edge] will work on the asphalt roads.
    I am particularly interested in finding out if this blade will damage the pavement less than our steel blades as we hit frost heaves and road surface variations, and by operator error. As it is now we are required by the U.S Forest Service to keep 2 inches above the road surface , but that doesnt always happen and we will be liable for repairs from now on. It seems like it will be gentler on the road , but i would like more info before i order one and have it shipped .
    Also I am wondering how long will it last , we have 10 miles of paved road to plow, at 3-4 passes to keep it clear and 3 miles of gravel road, at 2 passes every snow event.
    The one im looking at is made here in Oregon by Columbia Rubber Mills and we would be putting it on our International 5 yard dump truck /11 foot blade.
    Any other information would be appreciated also,
    Thanks, Davidc

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you're required to stay 2 inches off the road surface, you should run shoes. Cutting edges will last forever;)