1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Information Overload!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by a.paul, Oct 2, 2008.

1. a.paul

a.paul Member
    from NH

I plowed while I was in college (part time on the Grounds Crew), and every year I miss it and wonder why I don't get a plow (I like driving around and I like moving stuff around, you should've seen my Tonka truck collection!).

Finally, I'm in a financial position where I can afford to buy a plow, but I'm confused. I've been reading posts here for the past week, searching and re-searching, and I think I might've made my situation worse, because my head is swimming.

Here's the deal. I plan to do my own driveway and parking area, clean up at my mother's place, and every year there are people who call me asking if I know anyone who can do their driveway. So not a big route or anything (yet).

My current truck is an '02 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab, 360cid.

My debate is whether to just go whole hog and buy a used F250 (from 98-03) and put a large plow on it, or whether to put a plow on my truck and ease into it. I worry about wear and tear on the half ton though.

There's a Hiniker dealer about 5 miles down the road from me. They currently have a used 7 foot 700 series that they'd install on my Dodge for about $3500, it was purchased last year but never used because the man that bought it tried to put it on a Jeep with about 6 inches of lift, it didn't work right and he got pissed and brought it back.

One of my other problems is "poly" plows--everyone I know is sort of old school, and they make fun of "plastic plows". But I've looked at polys that have run hard for a couple of seasons (commercial) and they seem fine, and I know from reading the comments here they have many fans.

If anyone could sift through this ramble and offer some words of help, I'd be most grateful.

As it stands now I'm leaning toward the Hiniker on my Dodge, because I don't know how much plowing I'd do, and that would leave time later to buy a new truck, but ...then again, there's also buying a new truck!:D

And if this is in the wrong place, I apologize, please move. Thanks.

2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

the plow your talking about is too small for your truck. anytime you go left or right you will be running over snow,. But a bigger plow might be too heavy for your front end i expect (the quad cab)some of the more knowledgable people on here who are plow dealers can chime in on that. Go to the fisherplow website and run through the model they have on there to figure out what plow can go on your truck.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  3. a.paul

a.paul Member
    from NH

Fisher says 7.5 SD. I'm honestly not sure why Hiniker says only a 7, given that it's poly, but they don't have a plow finder there so I had to go by what the book at the dealer said.
    Thanks.

4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

keep in mind that plow isnt made for commercial use or heavy use. If you start doing lots of work check into commercial insurance and getting another setup and another truck. Even the 7.5 is a little small and you will be running over snow when you turn but that truck is limited on what you can put on it.

5. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Be Careful telling too many poeple that youll plow thre drive.... you hit one garage..one rock into a car.. rip up some grass and your "friends" will be callin you up pissed off

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Get the new(used) truck:waving: Your truck will work but if you use it now and you find out latter you need a bigger truck your truck will be worth a lot less after it's been used as a plow truck.

If you end up using the dodge shoot me a PM I'll help you set it up so at least it will work for a while until it starts to nickel and dime you to death..
    good lock in your endeavors

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

1. Ignore negative comments from those who "has a friend who...".

2. Listen to those who have "been there, done that".

3. Don't "overthink" it. Make a decision.

4. Take action based on that informed decision.

5. Don't look back and say "I should have...".

8. a.paul

a.paul Member
    from NH

Thanks for that. And no, I didn't know poly weighed more than steel. Maybe I just haven't been comparing apples to apples, because the weights appeared to be lighter. See--it's a symptom of the overload! :D

Okay, so if I were to get a used truck, would one that already had a plow on it be a better choice? I know where there's a 2003 F250 with plow, 67K miles for $16K.

I mean...how much damage could they really do to a big truck like that in a few years?

And thanks for the offer of help setting up too!

9. a.paul

a.paul Member
    from NH

Which is why I posted here. You guys seem like you have more actual knowledge than any of the guys I know personally. And 'overthinking' is one of my worst character traits :D.

And your #5 would seem to be a nudge toward a 3/4 ton.

Thanks.

10. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

poeple can screw up a truck in one big storm let alone in a few years..... be very cautious with used plow trucks

11. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

X 2 all it takes is one storm + inexperience = 1 really screwed up plow & truck!!!!:drinkup:

My neighbor drove OVER his plow last January!!!

12. a.paul

a.paul Member
    from NH

How does that happen? I might be slow, but I can't picture any scenario where that's possible.
    :eek:

13. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

pull up to your plow to hook it up and press the gas instead of the brake.....youll either run into the plow or run over it....:rolleyes:

14. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

I had an 02 ram quad cab with the 360 and i put a boss plow on it. only went with a 7.6 because i didnt want to get one too big for the truck. The truck couldnt handle the plow and it would often overheat no matter how i traveled with the blade. also you will always be running over snow when turning. now have the same plow with wings(9.4 now) on my 3/4 ton GMC and its great, soooo much better. IMO plowing with a half ton is just asking for problems....buy the bigger truck and if you can get a good one with a plow go for it! just remember look it over careful because everyone will tell you its only plowed my driveway and my neighbors :) hope it helps

15. tom_mccauley

He was plowing in low range up hill at the bottom of a drive, and caught his cutting edge between the street and his drive, got stuck gave it more gas (all ways the correct thing to do right?:rolleyes: ) long story short, lift chain broke, mount broke then over he went!!! (i've never laughed so hard in my entire life!!!!) that was one for Youtube for shure!. They had to winch truck up to get plow out.

16. a.paul

a.paul Member
    from NH

Well, one night I was watching a guy trying to plow a parking lot, and there was a granite lip at the edge of it, he went in from the street instead of in the driveway, and got caught on the lip, so his solution was to back up as far as he could and nail the gas. When he hit the 2-3 inch lip it was pretty spectacular. I was sure he'd broken his frame, or the mount. I guess he didn't because he proceeded to back up and try it again. This time he raised his plow an inch or so, so he cleared the lip...but it was a pretty spectacular bounce all the same.

I don't know. I was always taught to take care of your equipment, so I don't get stuff like that. I know stuff happens, but then again...you can't fix stupid.

17. tom_mccauley

A little bit on in-experiance goes a loooooooooooooooooooooong way!!!!!!:nod::nod:

18. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Get the 3/4 ton and you won't regret it later.

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Words to live by...simple, to the point, and very well put Mick. "Informed" is the magic word.

20. a.paul

a.paul Member
    from NH

So I've heard from a friend that the landscaper he does some work for (driving and plowing the last few years) is getting desperate for people to handle everything he's already committed for (amazing how few people there are who actually want to work. On a side note, it's amazing how many people there are who think everyone else owes them some kind of living...but I digress).

He owns several F350's and several F450-550's (does commercial lots) as well as driveway work. I've known this guy since I was about 4 years old.

I kind of see it as a good chance to get my feet wet (so to speak) without having to actually buy my own equipment.

What are the pros and cons of working for someone else (beyond the obvious one that I haven't technically worked for anyone else since I was in college and I'm not sure I'm employee material).

Thanks.