1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

info

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by wideout, Jan 2, 2010.

1. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Hey guys just want to start out by saying not tryin to start anything but i keep hearing boss guess saying direct lift and not chain, whats so great about the direct lift over the chain?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

One of my most favorite topics. :D

Simplicity, less moving components to wear and/or maintain, instant blade lift, no waiting for the chain slack to be jerked out before the blade begins to lift at the end of a pass, less wear/stress on the truck due to the same.

No chain or chain attachment points to check periodically thus nothing to loosen or break.

Press the button and it lifts not only smoothly but instantly. No need to "estimate" when to begin lifting as an effort to miss the curb or prevent scalping the landscaping so no guessing how much slack is in the chain under the same circumstances to judge your lift time.

No "blade drop" as you reverse from stacked pile. Slides off smoothly and at the same height it went up, and again no jerk on the truck as it begins to carry the blade weight again.

No chain bounce while transporting as there's no need to have it raised against the stops to eliminate it (as on a chain lift) since the lift cylinder holds firm regardless of height. Allows you to run the blade lower during transport (if needed) for better light visibility or cooling reasons and still no bounce.

And no matter how much you'd like to, you can't push a chain. :drinkup:

3. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Thanks B&B i looked at boss but with the closest dealer over an hour and half away just couldn't bring my self to buy one. One more question tho what happens when something goes wrong in the pump and it wont raise? With a chain you can just short chain it but you cant do that so what do you do?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Run it up a snow bank and throw a ratchet strap or chain on it. If a chain will allow you to short chain a chain lifted plow why wont it hold a direct lifted plow?

Dealer support and parts availability are very important when choosing a brand if you don't stock spare parts yourself (which of course you should have at least the basics)) but more importantly if you do not have the means or facilities to repair it yourself then you need the dealer to watch your back if/when the needs arise.

5. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Well you answered my question thanks man. Didnt know how that would go western guy on the boss page! LOL

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Its seldom an issue as we're not prejudice amongst those who ask questions based on the intrigue to gain knowledge in something they're not familiar with. That's what it's all about. :waving:

7. mskutnik

mskutnik Junior Member

to add to b&b reply. if you ever go to deap into the snow bank, the limited movement of a chain system is not where you want to short chain just to get out

8. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

I've always had chain lift myself so I was unsure what to expect with the new Boss ... one of my concerns has been verified but overall I've been pleasantly surprised. I've only found one serious problem with the direct lift so far and many will likely never encounter this themselves. I have a few areas where the terrain drops off abrubtly and the direct lift does not allow the blade to drop far enough to stay on the ground in float so the hardpack will continue to build up in these areas and will cause problems at each thaw ... deep slush in the worst spots that the Boss will never be able to clean up. Other than that I'd have to say in all honesty that I do actually prefer the direct lift over the long-time chain lift in every other way ... especially the noise reduction, it's stacking ability and the blade not bouncing all over the place when you, for a split second, forget about that new giant frost heave in the road. 9 out of 10 for Boss ... hey, I wonder if there is such a thing as a telescoping lift cylinder for plows? That would get a 10 out of 10 from me :nod: