1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Info On V10

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by MIDTOWNPC, Feb 22, 2010.

1. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I have found a used truck which seems to me to be a pretty good deal and Im insterested in it but I know nothing about the Dodge v10.

This truck would be used to salt and as a back up plow truck for me. I actually dont want the plow as I have extra plows and the guy has come down to $5000 without the plow.

Good deal? I know about the steering issues on the diesels and would think its the same but really not sure. I know all the fixes and am fine with that. Any insight would be appreciated. Im thinking and end of the month lower offer and maybe I can snag this cheap.

Dodge Ram
    Year 1998
    Kilometers 160000
    Colour Blue
    Transmission Automatic
    Fuel Type Gasoline
    Drivetrain 4 x 4

V10,8L ENGINE, 160,000KM THIS TRUCK COME FULLY LOAD WITH LEATHER INTERIOR, POWER WINDOWS/DOORS/SEATS, SUNROOF, CD PLAYER. EXCEPT FOR A COUPLE OF MINOR DINGS THIS TRUCK IS IMMACULATE.
    INCLUDED WITH THE TRUCK AND IN THE PRICE IS A 7'6" WESTERN ULTRA MOUNT SNOW PLOW, NOT MORE 3 YEARS OLD STILL BRAND NEW, 85-90% CUTTING EDGE. THIS TRUCK IS PERFECT FOR BEING PARKED ONSITE TO PLOW BUILDINGS WITHIN REASONABLE DISTANT. DUE TO BAD FUEL ECONOMY AND THE RENOWNED STEERING PROBLEMS ACCOMPANING MOST DODGES OF THAT YEAR THIS TRUCK WORKS BEST ONSITE OR COTTAGE OR DRIVEWAY PLOWING.
    IDEALLY I WOULD LIKE TO SELL AS A PACKAGE FOR $7000 OBO
    BUT IF THE PLOW IS NOT WANTED WE CAN WORK OUT A PRICE.
    THIS IS A VERY RARE TRUCK AND ENGINE WONT LAST LONG!!

2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I've got a 2002 2500 with the V10. It's been a good truck. It's had all the usual issues, but what truck doesn't?

One thing for sure... They'll get to know you by name at your nearest gas station. :nod: ;)

3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Its basically a 360 with an added 2 cylinders. Should be reliable and have the same issues those motors have.

4. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

I'd try 4k with the blade. Watch for rust on the front fenders between the wheel lip and the doors. Rear wheel lips and lower doors. These trucks will handle lots of weight on the rear and would be perfect as a salter/ back up plow.

For a touch higher price range I might hold out for a diesel truck. If you have extra blades a virgin southern, manual, non plow truck would be better...... :)

5. smokin4by

smokin4by Member
    from indiana

Most 98's have rust in canada so i wouldn't discount that. The v10's are fine, the only real problem is a cooling clutch fan issue. There are threads on here on that. its not a big deal, just a cluth fan. Will most likely have the same steering issues as all dodges that year.

Look for a lukes link for the track bar and it sounds like a good deal to me:)

6. MIDTOWNPC

Im familiar with the rust and the steering issues with the 2nd gen. The only thing I dont like about the diesel is the $1000 ever time you open the hood. lol

No the cummins have been good to me but this deal just crossed my path.

Its a hideous blue color. Like old school viper blue. If it was white I would already be driving it.

Ive got lots of backup but I also thought about another truck for next year and well I have lots of 2nd gen stuff.

7. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

I have the exact same truck, same motor and same mileage just rolled 160,000.... This is my first year with the truck, and it has performed flawlessly.... The V-10 has plenty of power for plowing, and you could put a house in the bed before it would squat.... The mileage is horrendous though! The best I've seen with mine has been 8.2 empty around town, and 10 on the highway!!! Its bad, I like the truck but will be selling come spring, can't deal the mileage anymore!!

Paid $5000 for mine with the plow frame and wiring, no plow though.. It has all the same options yours does except the sunroof.... $5000 with an ultra mount is dirt cheap! around here anyways!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  8. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i figure if your buying a 2500 serious truck with a v10 you shouldent worry about the gas milage, your buying it to work not take on cross country trips.

with that said my v10 does ok for gas, its just about the same as my 5.9 litre. i dont really care as these are strictly work trucks. as for work they are beasts to say the least, it will push/pull anything you toss at it, and will handle anything you put in the bed without flinching. its a great work truck.

9. MIDTOWNPC

deal or no deal

I have put in lower offer 2 fish and see who needs the cash
    dont care about the gas mileage. just safety and etest and work the winter

10. MIDTOWNPC

Diesel

have come across another truck.
    12V diesel 400kms never done a tranny never done injectors
    its been painted back in 2007 and has a blizard 7.5 ft or 8ft plow on it.
    good tires. asking $4500

deal or no deal?
    I know nothing abot the 12v

Dean

11. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

the 12vs are awesome. the transmissions arent that great but can be built bulletproof. its pretty much the same truck as your 2nd gens just with a mechanical diesel instead of electronics. if the trucks in good shape and runs good its worth that.

12. MIDTOWNPC

it runs good.
    its never had an ijector pump done so I am thinking that would be in its future.
    I dont know if they have the same fuel pump issues that the 24v's all had.

the steering stuff is all tight and was just done recently cause I can see shiney parts