1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Info on using airbag leveling in front on superduty

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by rollnthunder, Nov 30, 2006.

1. rollnthunder

rollnthunder Junior Member

Was just wondering if anyone has done this and if so whats there experience with it.Im trying to decide if i want to put a lift or the air lift.

2. BDB

BDB Senior Member

Your truck will ride rougher. I've experienced 3 different ways on all 7.3PSD. My truck (F350 SC) I put in a leveling kit which raise the front about 3.5". Then I installed timbrens to help when I have the plow on. It rides on the spring 95% of the time the timbrens aid when stacking and on the road when going over big bumps so the susp doesn't bottom out. Aroud $400 for lift parts and $150 for timbrens...all installed myself. I have a buddy who took his to a spring shop and had them add a leaf and re-arch the spring. He got 3" lift out of that. It rides a bit rougher but not bad. He also put bags in the back. Around $400 for the spring job installed $350 for the bags. Now all bags. There you have adjust ability. He did the four corners. At 65psi it raised the truck a bit over 2". That is where he runs with the boss 9.2V on the front. They sure do carry the plow nice. You are suppose to have a min of 15psi in the bags.....never empty. I've never driven it without the plow on it. He does not have a on board compressor but I can tell you that if you get one DO NOT mount it on the frame. They just don't seem to last from the salt. He fills his manually. I think around $500 for all the bags he installed them. So pick your poison and which works for you. :dizzy:

3. rollnthunder

Thanks for the great info on this.I have been hearing alot of people(friends of friends) using the bags but i have not had a chance to talk to them on a one on one basis.( get the real story from the horses mouth you may say.Im not doing any snow plowing for a business just my driveway and i dont feel like over working the leafs so i figure i would do something to help in that area.I have a 8ft pro unimount plow for the truck but i need to find another mount i had a lady cross the center line and hit my truck messed up the front and killed the mount.The truck is in the bodyshop getting fixed as we speak.

4. BDB

BDB Senior Member

You should look into the ultra mount with the conversion plate. Lots easier to mount/dis-mount. If you are not traveling with it on all the time you are more then fine. I had a 8.5 pro unimount on it for 2years with nothing and it carried it fine. I changed to a Pro plus w/wings and it added like 200 lbs. to the front. So it needed a little help. But all in all its good. Good luck with the repairs.....sorry to hear you got smacked. Especially this time of year with the poss of snow.

5. rollnthunder

Is it true with the Ultra mount and conversion there is clearence issues.I thought i was reading some where that there is?

6. JCplowboy

JCplowboy Junior Member

I just added Air bags to my 2001 F350 SC PSD and love them. I am running a BOSS 8'2" Power V. Heavy plow and motor. The ride is great with out the plow, and now I have an active suspension with the plow installed. In my opinion, this is the only way to go. Good luck.

7. BDB

BDB Senior Member

To be honest I don't know that much about them. I've seen them on a few trucks and a customer of mine has one if he needs to swap plows for some reason.