1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

INfo on spreader parts

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Dr Who, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Just bought a Meyer spreader, the controller says mini spreader, no other markings.

I got it cheap/complete and in supposed working condition.

I have not tried it, I just want to replace the motor and auger with a new one since they are rusted very bad. I bought it with intentions of replacing the motor anyway.

What and were should I look for a new motor for it? I have been told that the ones you get from eBay are junk and I do not even want to talk to Meyers about a new motor.
    I am looking for aftermarket replacement or good used one..
  2. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

I take it we are talking about a tailgate spreader you were not specific. Have you tried looking at Angelos.com they have a ton of spreader parts. If the ebay ones are reasonable enough why not get two and always have a spare on hand if it pukes out. Any reason why you have not tried it yet? other than not wanting to?
  3. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Oops, Yes its a tailgate spreader, I forgot to add that little bit of info.

I have read on this forum that the eBay ones are junk and that it was a waste of money to buy them. I have no experience with spreaders at all, I have always used the walk behind ones, but got this tailgate one for a whole $44.00 and could not pass it up.

I will check out the site you recommended As well as eBay because you are right, if they are cheap, get 2..

I say the one that is on it works since it turns freely, but the auger is rusted away and the motor looks like it could crumble any time, that is why I want to just switch them now while its still 90 degree out side.

The problem that I have ran in to with the little looking I have done for a motor is I do not know what my spreader is, other then the controller says mini spreader by Meyers. Is that all I need to know, or can I use any motor I want as long as I can make it bolt up to my spreader.

I am not even sure the controller works, the guy said hat he used it, then took it of his truck and let it sit for a few years in his garage. but I figured that I could go to Radio Shack and get he parts I need o make another variable speed switch.