1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Info. On proper salt bin

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Sno4U, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I'm in Wisconsin. Where can I find all the info to bill a salt bin and who to contact for inspection when its completed?
    I keep hearing bits & pieces but need all the info to do it right.
  2. leon

leon Senior Member

Salt bin?

The problem is that you have not told us how big a bin you are in need of,
    or if you simply plan on building one out of plywood or concrete blocks
    and put a cover-it building on the blocks used as a foundation for the building.

As far as inspections are concerned that is an unknown as you have not made your intentions clear as to bin size, the need pollution controls if any-which is totally related to bin size or type, whether you intend to have an elevated steel bin silo filled by a vacuum tanker and to gravity fill your salt spreaders etc.

Until you know what you your self want, its futile to ask us, as the Wisconsin environmental protection laws and building codes in your immediate area prevail in any case prevail in any case so you should be calling the local department of environmental protection office in the state capital.

NO, I told you specifically not to put your fingers in there!!!!!!!!!!! Lets hope they can sew it back on there.
  3. fatcat2929

fatcat2929 Junior Member

4. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Sorry Leon. I didn't know size had that big of a bearing on the answer.
    I'd want something big enough to hold 2 truckloads (about 48T) We went thru 28T of bagged salt this year and bought addditonal bulk besides that.
    My bulk guy that I've bought from on an "as needed basis" has cut me off 2 years in a row (when I needed it most), so I want my own storage.
  5. leon

leon Senior Member

salt storage

Since my message was lost:

one of the folks posted a link to wisconsins DOT page for salt storage for you.

A used AOSmith silo would be perfect and if you can find a trucker with a bulk tanker the salt can be blown into it and a vacuum used to unload it into you spreader.

There are lot of used AOSMITHHarvestores around and at least 30 in my county alone and several AOSMITHSlurrystores too.

Please send me your e mail to (lzaharis@yahoo.com) and I can give you much more information.

Look at my old postings for detailed information as well.

6. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

thanks for the link fatcat. good information.
  7. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

The next question is who actually registers their salt piles???????/