1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Info on plowing with 2004 F150

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by westbrooklawn, Nov 25, 2004.

1. westbrooklawn

westbrooklawn Member

I read mixed comments on here about plowing with 1/2 ton pickups, especially Ford F150's without solid front axle. I have a 2004 extended cab, 7300# rating. I would like to hear from plow dealers and those who actually plow with the newer F150's as to what plows they are using and how they handle them. I presently plow residential with a Jeep Wrangler, but am looking to pick up some parking lots, fast foods, etc. and wonder if the F150 will handle it. Thanks!

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

People do it with F150's but it would not be my first choice (nor second one either)

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Your F-150 should handle small parking lots in North Carolina just fine. I plow with an 00 F-150 7700# rating, with a 750 LB curtis plow. The truck plows great, i have never had a problem and would not hesitate to do small lots with it. Ok enough about the irrelevent stuff, i know the 04 is different.

A friend of mine has an 04 F-150 Extended cab probley just like yours. I think it has plow prep. He has a Fisher RD 7'6" and the truck seems to handle it great, he has used it once so far and said it does well. I would add some timbrens to help out with the front end, the 04s do not carry plows as well as the older ones, but they can plow nonetheless. Make sure you put some weight in the back too. My concern would be that you *may* have a problem getting a Fisher dealer to install anything except a homesteader. Other then fisher, you could go with the Blizzard 760LT or a Snoway 7'6". There are a few threads with pictures of 04 F-150s with plows, do a search.

4. Tarkus

You will also have trouble keeping tires on front too and it will wear them quickly and not evenly either.

5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Good point, but would it effect a 150 any more then a 250 or up? It does not effect my tires too much. Now thats granted that you are not stupid and drive around with the plow on as little as possible

6. geereed

geereed Senior Member

I just bought a fisher homesteader for my 04 f150.I am just finishing the install as i write this.I will give more info and pictures shortly.If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Gary

2004 f150 lariat supercab 5.4L

7. Tarkus

Generally the seem to be a bit worse with 150's in that the front ends are usually softer and sag more under load and tires are usually lower pressure rated too on 150's as a rule and high presure tires tend to hold up a bit longer on the TTB front end possibly because they have a stiffer tire carcus. I have seen poeple drive around with plows on their trucks for weeks on end without a snowflake in site too. Not me, if I am not using them,they are not on truck if it is being used.

8. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

We looked at adding an 05 F150 to the fleet for residential driveways mainly because there were on sale for a great deal. WhenI asked about installing plows three different dealers gave me diferent answers. One told me you could on an extended cab but not on a 4 door cab and the other told me the exact opposite. The last one just said no, no way can't do it.....

So who really knows. We knew it would not be really heavy truck but the price was so good we thought if we could get away with it why not but we stayed away from it because of this.