1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

info on extreme v

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by badger, Mar 16, 2008.

1. badger

badger Junior Member
    from Maine

i am looking for some input on the 8.5 fisher xtreme v thinking about replacing an 8.5 straight blade on a 03 gm 2500 hd
  2. Bibbo

Bibbo Senior Member

what kind of info are you looking for?
  3. flashinglight

flashinglight Junior Member
    from maine

It's a good plow if you don't mind working on it! I would suggest that you try to find a EZ V. I have talked with half a dozen or more people who have the XtremeV and they said there is something constantly wrong with it. The bolts that connect the plow to the head gear loosen up, the rams blow out and the hoses blow out where they connect to the rams. Hopefully, Fisher does some redesigning for next years line. I know 10 people who have the EZ V and have had no problems over the last 3 or 4 years. I do know at some point they all have to be worked on, but it's nice to get a couple maintance free years out of them!
  4. Chevy 2500 hd

Chevy 2500 hd Member

I wouldn't get an ez v those have cylinders that chip and screw up the whole system. We had an 05 cylinder chipped then metal shaving got into the cartridges. and I know he wasn't the only one with the problem http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=44780 I have a friend with an 8.5 xtreme he loves it. we haven't had any problems. I'm most likely going to buy one next year Flashinglight what do you mean the rams blow out what the seals? and the bolts on the head gear of ez v loosen up to thats nothing new thats why it says to check before each storm in the manual pg 28
  5. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

If you do a search on them, you'll find good and bad. more the bad cause we all love to complain more about the bad.

Our 8.5 extreme V which is coming to the end of it's second season.

So far has been great. We had one o-ring leak. Never stopped it from working. and easily fixed.

Cutting edge was just changed to the new 4 piece system. The orginal got alot of use out of them. We bought the curb guards this year. Found that the edge was getting woren down without them, and it's not like other plows where you were down the trip edges pin. but rather you rub on the skin of the plow.

The jack stand pin did somehow get bent. never figured out how. but it did. just behind the actual jack so it was hard to get the pin into the holes. This was fixed once we had time. just took the pin/handle unit out. (one cotter pin) and bent it straight. Works like new.

The blade scraps well with the 70 degree angle. Rolls the snow real well. And the hydro are super fast. Sometimes I worry they are to fast when you hear the blade smack back. We do not have the wing stops install as they are options. But I remember someome showing where their t-frame was cracking, which I believe was a result of having the stops.

Nothing else comes to mind. But if you ask I can try to give my input.
  6. flashinglight

flashinglight Junior Member
    from maine

I have talk to 2 guy that have had the Xtreme V full of metal shavings too. The rams blow the hoses off where the fitting screws into the ram. You end up using easy outs and a tap to repair the ram so the new hose will screw in. The rams also split up near the seal end on them, you end up having to get them welded. I guess what I have seen of them, I don't like them. We have EZ V's at work and have had no problems with them. We plow both pavement and gravel commerical door yards and parking lots. Since 2003 we have changed the fluid every year and the cutting edges. The begining of this season we tighten the bolts on the head gear for the first time and we have not touched them since.

I'm glad to hear you have had good luck with your Xtreme V.