1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Info On De Icing

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sun&snow, Jan 8, 2005.

1. sun&snow

sun&snow Junior Member
    from midwest

Help Please!!!

We are looking at getting into using Liquid DEicers for next season. I have alot of questions but here are a couple of them. Any help you all can give me would be great.

1) Can I use any type of sprayer equip or does it have to be a specific type? Will caliber or magic run through any type of sprayer? Where can I get equipment to spray this stuff.

2) How big a tank filled with solution can I strap on a 1/2 ton 4x4 Chevy? Is this truck even big enough to do any thing with? I thought I read somewhere that I could but up to a 150 gallon tank on my truck.

3) What do I charge for this and better yet how do I market this to existing customers? What do I tell them about this? How do I sell it. From what I understand about these produts we would only use them as pretratments and not as a salt treatment.

4) When is the best time to apply this as a "pre treatment"? This last storm we had came down as rain for 3 hours and then sleet and freezing rain for 3 hours and then a light 2 inches of snow. In this scenario a pretreatment probably wouldn't work or would it.

Thanks in advance for your advice an input.
  2. ctplower

ctplower Junior Member

Liquid Caliber or Liquid Magic are great for pre-treating, but the cicumstances have to be right! The ground temperature should be below 33 degrees or it will be slippery. In the rain situation, it would have washed away and would have been useless.

As for your truck, I have a 200 gal skid spray rig mounted on a Chev. 2500HD and when full, it squats pretty good. Liquid Magic weighs 10 lbs. per gal. plus the spray rig/skid, so we're talking about 2500 lbs. When the tank is half full, it feels like your driving a boat. You can feel the movement, bigtime!

I wouldn't recommend more than 100 gal. rig for a half ton truck.

Middlesex Ice Control, LLC

Central CT
  3. TLC Ken

TLC Ken Member

hello, I have been using mag chloride for 4 winters. I got super wordy a while ago and wrote a bunch on it. here's the link.

Remember, out where I live (N Idaho) we almost always get to nearly bare lots. My setups are made for melting up to a half inch of ice or snowpack/ice. I bet you guys out east will need much more. It is rare that we get ice on lots in weather colder than 25 degrees. usually we get our lots bare before it gets that cold. Most of our snow happens at 28 to 30 degrees, these last two years we've had two January storms that send a pile of snow down at 15 deg F. But that is the exception. The locals around here joke that it snows 2 inches, then melts later that day. That happens about a third of the time. Sometimes we have to hurry and plow before it all goes away. Just kidding. :nono: No rippee off customer.

the real name of the mag is IceStop by Reilly out of Utah. It has a corrosion inhibitor. Let me know and I can send you the MSDS, it's too big to post here.

My advice on the tank is get one you can see over. Nothing like that rear vision in your plow.
  4. tooltime

tooltime Junior Member

have you though of using salt brine it is a lot cheaper than caliber or magic.
    i work for ohio dot and we use brine to pretreat the roads. you could make your own brine maker. brine cost around $.05 a gallon to make.

5. paponte

paponte Senior Member

What is involved in doing that, and what would it generally cost as startup?
  6. sun&snow

sun&snow Junior Member
    from midwest

How do you make your own brine? How do you make your own brine "cooker"?
  7. tooltime

tooltime Junior Member

I do not know off hand what start up cost would be.
    It would depend on how big of brine maker you would need.
    At our shop we can store 6000 gallons of brine.
    As far as the brine maker go's our's has a 1500 gallon mixing tank that
    we put about 3-4 ton of salt in. The mixing tank is a poly tank with two 2"
    plastic water lines in the bottom. Fresh water comes in the 2" lines with the salt in the tank. The water and salt mix and then go over a damm on one end of the tank then it is pumped to the storage tank. I will try to get some pictures or make a drawing of the setup if anyone is interested.
    When we apply it to the roads we put down 50 gallon's to the mile.
    I think that it takes about 2.3-2.5 pounds of salt to make one gallon of brine. Hope this helps you.

8. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

Please post pix, or more info when you can . Sounds like it could be a very helpful tool. Thanks in advance.
  9. tooltime

tooltime Junior Member

give me a little time and i will see what i can put together

10. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Tool TIme

I would be interested also. I currently use Glacial Technologies which makes Caliber. I only use it on their property though. They provide it to me to use on their property. I just charge labor to put it down. I just put some down a couple of hours ago.
  11. tooltime

tooltime Junior Member

guys I have not had time to get anything around yet on the salt brine maker
    working for the highway dept. i have not had the time because of all the snow
    and wind we have been having. as soon as i can i will post the info.