1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Info Needed on Salt Spreaders

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mjmstaff, Dec 30, 2003.

1. mjmstaff

mjmstaff Member

Picked up a few accounts that might want me to spread some salt around. The only problem is I don't have a spreader. Could you guys give me some pointers on what type or brand to look for? I do know I don't what a hopper. I can get away with a hitch mount or something close. I just called a couple of dealers but all they do is put the other guys brand down. All I want to get a good one for a fair price. Thanks
  2. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

mjm...... we bought the > SnowEx < brand model 1050 and it is working very well. Holds 800lbs. of salt and has variable speed control w/ blast mode. Mounts to the back of the truck and swings out if you want to open the tailgate.
  3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

western and fisher make nice spreaders
  4. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

I bought a Magnum model #S575RM poly hopper spreader this fall and really like it. It holds about 400 lbs. of salt and spreads a real nice pattern. At $895+ tax it's a really good buy. I had a Buyers SUV Pro and didn't like it at all. I had problems w/ the electrice motor on the Buyers. Seemed like every time I had to use it, I would have to get out and turn the motor by hand to get it started. You can see Magnum spreaders at www.imperialelectric.com

vivatar 024.jpg
  5. GMCplow

GMCplow Junior Member

Do yourself a favor, and stay away from anything and everything "Buyers Products"makes. Their equipment is junk, and they have no concept of what service is if you contact the factory (and since there is a 100% chance their equipment will fail, you will be calling the factory). You might save a few hundred bucks originally, but you will lose it twice over your first time out. Mine failed the second time I tried to use it, and the factory refused to honor the warranty. Wire broke off of one of the brushes. If anyone knows where I can get a replacement set of brushes, I'd be interested so I could get it out of my shop. Worst piece of equipment i have ever owned in my life. Worst customer support by a factory I have ever experienced. Never again. Steven
  6. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Any vehicle electrical, motor, starter, repair should be able to match them up. And even better supply you with a better motor for it.
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

GMCPlow, take the spreader motor to a good automotive electrical repair place. One that rebuilds starters,alternators etc.
    I had a similar problem with a $190 starter motor. All it needed was a set of brushes. The guy looked at it and pulled a set off the shelf that went to something totally different. Worked great for 4 years. On the "Buyers" issue, I have talked to a few contractors that have problems with their products! The factory service guys actually told them " your not supposed to use salt in it" Hello! it's a "Salt Spreader" is it not? Another guy was told the motor failed cause he "used it too much". I guess they think plowers don't talk to each other. Someone start a class action suit see if they like that.
  8. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

Send me a pm. I have a local guy that has access to any kind of electric motor part or repair that you will need.