1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Info for subing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by DDPM, Aug 19, 2011.

1. DDPM

DDPM Junior Member

Hi All
    first post have been on here off and on reading things since Dec. 09 but cant remember my log in info so here we go i have a couple of questions about subbing. i know what my costs are and what i need for my hourly but don't know what the going hourly is around my area i have been plowing for 3 years one farm and 3 res. driveways all for close family. i have talked to my ins comp and was told $1000 year to ins. my truck with plow for com. work (they will not ins for res.) so i would expect i need that . so if subbing who caries the G.L. ins. the company or should i also carry it ? what are some of the pros vs. cons of subbing ? looking for response from company owners and subs . thanks all Doug tymusic
    PS sorry about the spelling and grammar.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Get the GL you want to protect yourself. Subing is good if you ready don't want to get to heavy into it.Not as much equipment tied up. Also if you can't commit to full time someone my pick you up as a extra backup.
  3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

This insurance thing is all over the place.

Here's the way I see it. If you are plowing and you hit something then you need to have the insurance or fix it out of pocket.

If you are plowing as a sub and the contractor comes in and salts after you and there is a slip and fall then that has nothing to do with you.

With my subs, they are responsible to fix what they hit. If someone slips and falls on the site then that is my problem

If your insurance company wants an extra $1000 just to cover you while plowing that might not be to bad. I'm more worried about slip and falls.
  4. DDPM

DDPM Junior Member

Thanks for the info guys. Ya I work p/t hopefuly F/T soon so I'm more looking as a back up or small lot not to sure about doing residential would rather do commercial. Thanks for the info keep it coming have used the serch and just trying to figure the pros and cons. So far subbing is just a bout the same as doing it on own with out haveing to sourse the work? Same ins.requirements mantance cost are still yours. And the busness cost are all there too?