1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Info about used Western Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Dr Who, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Looking at my first spreader that does not require me to push it...

Old Galvanized Western, no controller.
    Mount has been modified to set on the bumper, has "hooks" that sit in the tie down holes on the bed.
    Yeah, its tube metal that extends to were the holes are in the bed, and has a 90 degree turn, just sits there..

Kinda jerry rigged if you ask me, But I thought I could make another bracket to stick in in the trailer hitch.

said it works great, he hooked the wiring into the trailer plug so that it came on when the lights were on.... Yeah I am not kidding.

Anyway, there asking 250.00 for it. I am looking at about that much for a walk behind spreader, and so far do not see any that I like.

I think its worth the money, only thing is I am concerned that it will not spread the rock salt that I buy, the walk behinds that I have borrowed do not spread it at all, my agra fab did, but it died the last time I used it.(not for the rock salt, just it being old and I got it free as it was locked up)

I use bagged salt (Morton safety salt) as I have no were to store bulk and I do not want to keep it in the bed of the truck as I do not get much call for spreading salt.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

you will need to wire up some kind of controller
    it should spread about any kind of DRY material

sounds like way too much money to me
    I bought a Western1000 and it had all the wiring and works excellent for $500

3. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I figured that I would pick up an used controller, or make one, I assume all you need is on/off switch and a "dial" type switch to adjust the power, that is what makes them throw faster/father right?

Well, any type of snow removal equipment is higher here, not near as much call for it so the prices are higher due to not every tom dick and harry owning 2 of each. And the cheapest new one I can find (non home owner type) is 750-800 for a 250# Meyers

Last year I talked to the local Meyer dealer, they had a couple of used ones that needed motors and controllers, wanted 500-700 each depending on the size.

There is another western here locally, its has the controller, but needs a motor housing and the plastic tank is busted, its 400.00. A Meyers with no controller for 700 and some land scaping company is selling all there salter (looks like they bought all "v" spreaders in the picture) the cheapest they have is 600,(small snow-X) up to 1000 for a Myers and I bet there all junk by the looks of them.

That is why I thought 250 was cheap, that is since the walk behinds I was looking at were 200 to freaking 450???? why are they so high?

Dude has had it listed for about a month, I figured I could pick it up for 175-200.00 since he stated that he really wants to sell it in the reply email.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

the controller for my Western has on/off burst and a speed control/////it is a special speed control switch and pretty spendy
    there is a thread about making your own spreader conroller on here

offer him $150 cuz you will probaily spend another $150 in parts

5. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

The more I think about it the more I think I may pass on it, you are right as I figured that I would spend about 150 on a controller if I could not make one.

All the jerry rigging that has already been done to it makes me Leary. I like the idea its all metal, I hate plastic!

But its almost the end of the season for us, 4 more weeks at best for the possibility of snow, then its spring. So I hate to spend the money on it, have to do some repairs/jerry rigging of my own and it just sit outside till next fall.

I think I am going to just hold off till spring/summer and buy one that is complete, wires/controller and all. I am sure there will be a few dozen on the market during warm weather.