1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Info about plowing contracts

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ayyaaron978, May 22, 2013.

1. ayyaaron978

ayyaaron978 Junior Member
    from Boston

I'm new to snow plowing, and I wanted to hopefully be able to have some snow plowing contracts by next season. what would be the easiest way too apply too them or sign a contract with them, just trying to get a answer from a senior snow plowing.

Thanks, Aaron.

2. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to the forums.

Need a little more info
    Do you have any customers yet, that you plow not under contract?
    Have you plowed before?
    Do you have a contract that you can use?
    Do you have insurance?

3. ayyaaron978

from Boston

No Customers yet, No under contract, I have not plowed before, I recently just bought a Chevy Silverado 1500 HD and I was thinking about buying a Fisher Plow or Boss Plow, and I don't understand what a Contract is or how too get one. and Yes I have insurance as in Car Isurance correct?

4. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

The insurance you need is business liability. Your auto insurance covers your vehicle and "maybe" the plow.

I would tell you to contact your insurance carrier and find out what 1 million (my minimum for peace of mind) dollars of liability insurance will cost you.

Also, you may need to incorporate or form an LLC depending on state laws where you live. Research that cost as well.

5. ayyaaron978

from Boston

Ok I live in the state of Massachusetts. I'm really new too all this. So I'm trying to get as much information as I can.

and, I work HVAC year around but, Snow plowing is always extra money on the side.

6. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Just to add to Sawboy's advice. Regular car insurance won't cover you when you are plowing. You will need commercial auto insurance. You are asking the questions at the right time, in the spring. You have time to get things in order. Don't wait for people to answer all of your questions in this thread. I bet all of your questions have been answered already. Take an hour or two each day and read what's already here on the site. For your situation I suggest looking into subcontracting forsomeone for at least the 1st year.

7. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

With a 1500 series truck, I would not try to take on too much business. A 2500 series truck and above is better. I say this no matter which brand you use. They have more heavy duty components. Make sure you get a plow to match your truck. Any truck "upfitter" can give you advice. Go to the Boss or Western or Fisher or Meyers Web Site for a list of their dealers. Start off slow and small so you can service your customers.
    I started out with flyers to get my customers. Word of mouth got me some more customers. Being a 1 man operation, I did not take on more than I could handle. As others have said, you need commercial liability insurance. I am always ask to forward a certificate of insurance. People want to know you are legit.
    Others have posted their contracts on this site. Do a search and you will see. You can always modify to your needs.Seek the advice of an attorney for this.
    Good Luck / Rick

8. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

I hhighly suggest not plowing under your own business, which you obviously have not started. Reason being is as stated before your clearly way too green and should work for someone else since it is apartent that you don't know what is required to run a business let alone plowing.

YOU do not need a contract, you need to have your customers sign a contract. The fact that this is confusing you is a little worrying, so maybe owning your own business isn't right for you just yet.

Go work for someone else first.

9. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

He has a 3/4 ton truck so its good. You probably missed the HD part in his post.

Instead of jumping in looking for contracts or even being a sub, consider working for someone with their truck for a couple years and learning how to plow.

Learn, build some relationships - then become a sub contractor or even a contractor on your own.

Just because you have a truck, and can spend many thousands on a big shinny thing to hang on the front does not mean you can plow.

I personally, would never consider a sub contractor that has no experience.

I have, however trained some drivers that had driving knowledge, not just experience. I refer to them as farm boys. They grew up driving any and everything and understand what a truck can do.

When I interview someone, we go for a 5 minute drive in my truck. I can tell in half that time if I think they have what it takes. Its not about saying the right things, its about driving and backing up, since that 50 percent of snow plowing.

Gaining contracts on your own without any experience is a great way to loose your shirt, truck, house and everything else you have.

Insurance is a huge expense for part time plowing like you are considering, but it is more important than having a snow plow on the front of your truck.

Good luck, have fun.