1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Inexpensive spreader???? salt vs ice melt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by trademark, Dec 18, 2006.

1. trademark

trademark Junior Member

Hey snow people,
    I'm looking to get a spreader for my dodge ram 2500. there are a lot to choose from... I'm not looking to spend crazy money on it.. I have a small company thats does driveways so I would like to get one that goes in my hitch.. I also would like to load it with bags but what is better to use in it salt or ice melt what brand is good for the price.. I have to ask what do most charge for a small driveway.. thanks for the help Jason can't wait for the snow !!!

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The cheaper speaders will kill you in parts. their durablity is not good. What ever you save on the unit purchase you'll spend in parts. aviod units with the motor under the spinner, the motors don't last.
    Good Luck!:waving:

3. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

depending on how long the drives are you might be better off with a good push spreader.
    my first spreader was a buyers suv model it was junk . the following yr bought a western swingaway very happy.

john

4. MBB

MBB Senior Member

I got a little earthway unit, It was under $300 when I bought it new, fits in reciever 2", holds I think 150lbs. Simple unit Motor in hopper, plugs in cig socket with switch in power lead seperate cord to pull to open drop shoot to spinner, works great on drives. Light weight, poly hopper, drop rate adjustable manually. When you are done it is easy to pop off and stick in the bed or where ever out of the way. Western 1000 swing out for the commercial lots. I put the western on for my clean up run for the commercials (mostly small lots within 2 mi radius of shop) easier to do drives without it on the back. my penny's worth for ya.