1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Indy salt price

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by kipcom, Dec 4, 2003.

1. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Anyone in the Indy area have a good source for salt this year ?

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I got mine last year from Morton here in Chicago. If interested, I can get prices if you want to go in on a load.

3. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Thanks Griffith....we get it from A-grain of salt currently, just trying to find some bagged salt for the smaller trucks to carry around.

4. Plow Meister

All I buy from Morton is bagged. I haven't bought any yet because I still have some left over from last year.

5. indianabc

indianabc Member

bagged

Hey Kip,

Let me know what you find out - I bought 2 pallets of ice melter from Lowes and one of the bigger plow companies I talked to said they bought a semi-load of bagged from Meijer.

6. IndySnowPlowers

IndySnowPlowers Member
    from Indiana

Kip doesn't know...he's just confused!!! :dizzy:

LOL he just bought the Snow Ex to overseed his yard!!!!

Steve

7. sodking

sodking Member

Hello, New Hampshire here. You but bagged salt? We load up at the pier in Portsmouth for $50 per ton. If we buy it by the dump trailer we can get the price down in the low 30's per ton.

8. indianabc

indianabc Member

I do not have a dump truck, loader, or outdoor storage location so I buy by the bag which allows me to load it in my truck easy and store easy. Most of my accounts have me put ice melt down, not salt anyway..............Maybe some day I will have my salt barn and a bobcat.

9. JThompson

JThompson Member
    from NYC

I've bought by the bag too. Thinking of buying bulk and having one of my guys bag it. Anyone ever do this? How long does it take to bag a ton of salt?

10. Plow Meister

I am going to contact Morton tomorrow. I will get a price on 50 pound bags. Anyone interested, PM me. I know I can get a great deal on a truck load. I think that is 16 skids but I am not sure.

11. indianabc

indianabc Member

Lets see - About 40 fifty pound bags in a ton right? So let's say you make a little get up to hold the bag and such and just scoop it in - probably not more than 3 minutes a bag with sealing the bag and moving it to a pallet. So my guess is 2 hours a ton. That sounds like a long time - maybe an hour a ton when you get good.

12. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Contact Shannon at Salt Services (317)867-4911

They are located in Park 100 (northwest side) and have great inventory, will load it for you or will deliver. Pricing is competitive.