1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Industry Stats

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by pamsnow, Mar 12, 2013.

1. pamsnow

pamsnow Junior Member
    from RI

I am looking for a website that i can see snow and ice management industry and market stats. For example, i am looking for data on how the plow industry is doing in today's economy and for some numbers on average number of employees for a small commercial plowing company, average earned income etc the area i am interested in is Rhode Island and Massachusetts. Can someone tell me where i can find industry stats?
    Thank you
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Why don't you explain who you are first and tell us more about yourself pamsnow?
  3. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

:confused: I know I posted to this thread :confused:
  4. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

lol me too, we didn't say anything bad so I wonder why our posts disappeared :confused:
    All I can say is WOW this site is as regulated as North Korea.....well maybe just as much as Russia:eek::laughing:
  5. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

:laughing: not that regulated LOL

I removed it becasue there was no point in leaving the bickering about it...if you don't want to post anything or she doesn't want to divulge any info then I would suggest not repsonding to the thread
  6. Burkartsplow

Google it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. BC Handyman

Fair enough MJD & yes alot of Googling & calling would be only the only way to get some of those answers I'm guessing.
  8. pamsnow

pamsnow Junior Member
    from RI

Thank you Michael, I also didnt see the point in bickering over a question

thank you for the help, i did tons of Googling thats how i came across this lovely site.
  9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I'm sure most guys here would help if we knew about where your question was coming from.

You will find little to no help if your with a national company.
  10. pamsnow

pamsnow Junior Member
    from RI

thank you 1olddogtwo, as a New member its always nice to get advice on how these sites work, since I now know the reasons for the question about my personal info. I am a student who is writing a business plan for a plowing company and was looking for industry stats, this is public information but was having trouble finding information on Google.
  11. Burkartsplow

Is this for an existing company or a new start up? How many employees do they have and what type of service are they offering, residential, commercial or both? What type of equipment are they running? If you give us more information then we could help you with the answers you are looking for. On this forum you just have to earn the trust of fellow members and once you do that you will get more info then you will know what to do with.
  12. BC Handyman

Wow I was wrong in my original post, we did hear from Pamsnow again.Thumbs Up
    So now you know we need info to help you, what can you tell us. Is this a new or existind company? Do you have any experiance in the snow industry?
  13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No very little is public information. Most snowplow operations are only a segment of the companies business and are privately owned. That means they have no need to report any of their information to anyone but the IRS and their insurance company and are protected by the privacy act.

The insurance industry might be your only hope. The insurance company is the only one that requires a break down by work category. Alas the privacy act would limit the individual information they can release even if willing. There are national insurance data pools you can buy access to, kinda pricy though. Talk to your insurance agent they might be able to access some of that data for you if they are willing to share. It will be mostly liability and underwriting information so may not help. Again not Public information

Try SIMA or ASCA, of course you need to be a member to access what there is of that kind of info available. Of course they will only have the data from their members which are a very small segment of the industry.

You could also try Douglas Dynamics IPO filing and annual reports they detail a great deal of the industry from the equipment suppliers POV and are one of the few public trade businesses in the industry and therefore maybe the only one who's require to provide the public with their financial information.

To get any real significant comparable data you would have to define the size of operation, segment of the industry they service (residential, commercial, mixed,) level of service they provide, the type of contract (seasonal, per push, volume,) as well as equipment type, contractor vs sub contractor, trigger numbers, etc. Find the sub set you are attempt to put numbers and an limit your research to those individuals.

Your best chance to get accurate information is purchasing mailing lists from any of the numerous sources out there for plowing operations in the areas you are interested in and then survey them and sort and weigh the data.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  14. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

Your best bet would likely be to contact the contractors in that area, get a good mix of small companies and big companies and get your numbers. Perhaps you could come up with a questionaire and advertise that you're looking for participants.
  15. pamsnow

pamsnow Junior Member
    from RI

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I will look into all those options reccommended.

The details for this class assignment is not a specific company but my focus is on a commercial plow company in the RI and MA areas. I did also find some helpful information on fbo.gov

Thanks again!
  16. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Only input I can add is to be specific about your target market and the types of customers you service.

This will kinda direct you to the similar sized contractors in your area.

Somebody might spill the beans on how many plowing events they average a season for estimating, to how many salt applications per season they average.

There is just a gamut of different business plans pertaining to the snow industry. Some just use snow blowers, some use plows, some plow and salt, and some plow, salt, and move massive amounts of snow.