1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Industry Standard and Customer Satisfaction

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by BossPlowMaster, Nov 20, 2013.

1. BossPlowMaster

BossPlowMaster Senior Member

As the winter draws closer or for some has already visited, I would like to bring up a few things that I think many will agree with. First things first...I am no expert and I do not claim to be the best at what I do. Please respect what I have to say as much as you may want to punch me in the face.

Industry Standard:
    As many people who are new to snow plowing and even the landscape or whatever field... Industry standard is something that beats people time and time again. Industry standard in the snow removal field is all about quality and appropriate pricing for such services. What I mean by this is... There is a going price in your area, whether it be X amount of $$$ for this or X amount of $$$ for that...there is a going price. Now what the Joe Schmo down the road doesn't know is that industry has a standard price for such service in your area. I find myself pissed off more than not because of all of the schmucks around the area who under bid the legal and professionals because they hold no industry standard nor do they have the same costs as the PROFESSIONALS. If you are going to under bid someone keep in mind what your area is getting for said service and don't vear too far from it as it lowers the price that the professionals have to charge to keep up with you. (Not holding industry standards ultimately ends up causing everyone to make no money)

Customer Satisfaction:
    I read an article a while back in Lawn and Landscape magazine about customer satisfaction. Besides the meaning of doing quality work and not pissing off the customer... Customer satisfaction starts off at the bid. As proven by the statistics, customers are 80% more likes to choose you over other if you do this... Break down your costs on the bid. Now what I mean by this is not what you are thinking ...I don't mean for you to show them what it physically costs you to do said job. What I mean is break down the bid for them and say "this takes me X number of hours to plow...X number of pounds of salt and then explain to them some of the expenses of plowing (Ie. Insurance...Fuel...Driver costs....Food/ Coffee...ect.) This helps them understand that you bid the job to make yes a little bit of money... but more importantly give them the best bang for their buck. Also using this to your advantage for selling extra services such as salt "If we salted this for you it would both reduce the risk for employees/ customers and it wouldn't cost you an arm and a leg @ such price"

Using both of these to combat low ballers and Joe Schmo will help hold Industry Standards and will provide a great base for Customer Satisfaction.

I am sure I could say more.... If you have any questions about ^ please feel free to leave me a message or comment.

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

If think you did a good job stating you view point and I agree with it. The best way to combat Joe Schmo’s /low ballers is through customer service, educating the customer and give them the sense you’re there to help them in any way you can rather than the guy that just cleans their lot/sidewalk and does there lawn-care/landscaping. It may seem odd but I go out of my way on the customer service side, I’ve found this to be a great means to retain work and referrals for new work.
    I do no advertising, really don’t solicit work and just about all my new work is by way of referrals. This afternoon I get an email from a day-care/pre-school that is next to a church I’ve been plowing for years, the gal said the folks at the church have nothing but great things to say about me and told her to contact me. I’m meeting her tomorrow and pretty confident I’ll get the account and if so I’ll sell them lawn-care too. This type of thing is pretty typical with me and tells me I’m doing the right thing. Granted I’m a one man show but the same principals can be applied to larger outfits.
    Unfortunately no matter where you go there will always be a Joe Schmo and it doesn’t matter what industry. We don’t need a Union but we need to be united in a sense, I know a bunch of guys in the area and we all network/piss and moan about stuff during lunches. Even though we would be considered competitors to each other we respect each other tuff and don’t poach work form each other.

3. tripjjj

tripjjj Junior Member

Being new to the snow removal industry I appreciate your message. I'm in my second season. I do not advertise and picked up two parking lots do to my customer service not because I'm the lowest bid. What gets me is the ones that don't have insurance.

4. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I certainly agree with the original post and the comments that follow. Low balling will happen in any industry. Those that low ball will put themselves out of business. Unfortunately others pop up to take their place. Just make sure that you stay away from a "reverse auction"

5. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Couldn't have agreed more, good post!