1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

industrial sites and wheel chocks, do you move them?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by crazymike, Mar 1, 2006.

1. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I plow all commercial/industrial.

I do quite a few shipping bays, etc... and sometimes I see the tops of wheel chocks sticking out of the snow. If they are chained to the building, I always get out and put them in the holder.

However, if they arn't chained to the building I have a tendency to "not notice them" :wink:

If the place has 20 bays and I have to get out 15 times, that's an extra 20 minutes a lot. Get out of truck, search snow (yank them from frozen ground) place them in chalk get back in truck.

I figure they will get them back in the spring, and if it annoys them they can check before they leave at night and put them back in the holder.

It also depends on the mood I'm in.

What do you guys do? I've never had a complaint, but it doesn't mean it's acceptable.

2. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Does your contract state anything about objects buried under the snow??
    Who does it state as the responsible party?
    If no language in contract, a friendly letter might just do the trick.
    Most will want to work with you.
    If push came to shove (which I hope wouldn't for such a small matter)
    tell them it's an extra XXX added to the price every time you plow

3. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I subcontract to a fairly large company. I've never been in trouble for doing it. And never asked what to do. So I figure it's more of a blind eye deal.

I was just curious what other people do. They only cost a few dollars.

I never snag block heater lines, etc...

Do you get out of the truck if a kids shovel is in the snow? A cardboard box? etc...

Just curious what people do.

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you a subbing I am going to assume you are getting paid by the hour. I also think with the snowfalls we have been getting, the snow is not deep enough not to see the wheel chaulk. I think the driver was supposed to put them back anyways so it would be hard for them to blame you.

Who are you subbing for?

5. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

YGPM CET

Well, that's the thing. You usually only see the tops sticking out. So sometimes you think it's a wheel chock and it's a chunk of road slush and vice versa.

As for hourly. Yes I am... but... The company gives me lots of hours regardless. If I finish my route early they usually have 3-4 more sites for me to visit.

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like a UPS building or something similar. At least they have lots of work for you.

7. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

one building I do has 35 docks on one side with not only the chocks ,but trailer locks that stick out 1.5 ft .We have it in the contract that we are not responsible for the chocks if their personel does not return them to their proper spot.At the end of the season they just pick them up at the end of the lot and reattach them.

file003MA10320011-0005.jpg

8. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

One of those "no win situations".

Depends if you want to keep the business or not. If your contract requires them to be removed & you are not responsible. I have one customer that won't remove anything from his dock area, regardless of calls or conversations. Basically lazy maintenance man. I plow around them and leave the pile. When they complain, I remind them to clean them up.

Those stupid things (especially when attached to chains) can do a job on your truck and plow if you happen to hit one the wrong way.

9. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

I Offer The Best Service $$ Can Provide.!!!!!!!!

And Because of that I am able to charge above average Payment.So If you are a LOWBALLER Keep Plowing Them chockblocks To Wherever You Like.If you charge REAL $$$ Do whats right And Pick them up When you see them.By the way this was a STUPID QUESTION!!!!!!!!:jester: :jester:

10. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

How can you pick them up if you cant see them? By the way I am not a low-baller .If you look at the dept of the snow it is 4' deep ,how can you justify walking through 4feet of snow about 1/3 mile long and how much do you charge the customer for this "search and find " mission? This particular building drifts over the docks and goes about 30' beyond the building.

MultimedMA10320011-0001.jpg

11. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

No, I think you are just a stupid person.

One, your inability to read the thread astounds me. It has been stated that I SUBCONTRACT.

Here is a definition as it seems to illude you.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=subcontract

Basically, a company pays me to work for them. Not sure how you can be a lowballer if you subcontract. Unless perhaps you offer to work for a really low rate.... Is $80 an hour too low???

I suppose you rake through all your accounts to check for card board boxes, kids toys, maybe somebody dropped a purse under the snow in a parking lot...

Sifting through 4' of snow for wheel chocks, etc... that will be found in the spring seems like a waste of time for me. For both me and the company. I'm being paid $80 an hour. I could easily spend an hour each storm searching for wheel chocks, etc... That would cost the company $80. The price of a wheel chock is $5 if you buy bulk. I would have to find 16 wheel chocks every storm before it saves money.

So getting out of the truck everytime I see something black sticking out of the snow just because it might be a wheel chock sounds like a waste of time to me. But I guess ripping off (err padding their bill) your customers is better than being a low baller :/

12. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

No way, I have enough stuff to do when it snows.

13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Don't you love the way they have that little sloped roof so all the snow falls down way to close to the building. If they would make them 6 ft longer you would never have any snow against the building.