1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Indoor Salt Bin

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by fairwaymowing, Nov 21, 2014.

1. fairwaymowing

fairwaymowing Member

Hey guys....scrambling to find a location for salt storage due to picking up a large account last minute and am thinking of doing it within a garage. IE: Build a 3 sided bin and store it indoors. My question is will this ruin the building/what's in the building, it's not metal, but concrete floor, other tools, etc. Bought a nice new Smith Spreader, have access to the bulk salt for pickup but can't drive cross town when I have to salt and plow. Now I just need a good location to store the salt. Any ideas appreciated, but at my location I cannot build the 'typical' salt bin.

2. ohiogreenworks

ohiogreenworks Senior Member

Ours has been indoor for a a few years. Big concrete blocks like a normal bin, just indoors. Haven't had any issues with it other than taking up space in the shop.

3. fairwaymowing

fairwaymowing Member

Thanks man. That is what I have been hearing and we will be starting tomorrow. Kinda been disappointed with this site....183 views and 1 reply.

4. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

185 views now

5. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

How much salt are you wanting to store in the bin ? Last year when salt was getting in short supply and the price jumped we built a wood bin. It only holds ten yards but it was our reserve. We usually keep chemical totes full of salt and just get them filled as needed since we use tailgate spreaders. We will do this again this year and leave the bin full until the price jumps or supply gets tight. Our bin is 8x12 with 4' walls. 1.5" osb walls and floor. It is built strong enough to to drive my skid loader in it. You can't plow into the walls like a cement bin but it serves it's purpose and we never ran out of salt or paid crazy prices last year. The bin can be broken down in large pieces and stored out of the barn in the off season.

6. fairwaymowing

fairwaymowing Member

Thanks, Mangnatrac.....Was curious to how much 10 yards would take up...which is what we plan on storing.

7. RMGLawn

RMGLawn Senior Member

Do you have any pictures of this???

8. magnatrac

Here is the bin empty after I put it back together. The floor is made out of 12' 2x4's and they are spaced so that the tires of the skid are over them no matter how its in there . Last year when we built it it was only 3/4'' floor and walls. We had no problems but we wanted to really fill it this year with the salt supply issues so I added another 3/4" all around. Here is a pic of it empty.

[​IMG]

This is a picture of the bin with 10 yards in it.

[​IMG]

The bin now has more in it probably 12-13 yards . I know what we bought but when we get loaded they really heap the bucket. Doing the math on how big the bin is it's really easy to figure that we are getting a good deal. No complaints with the high salt prices ! I know this is a low budget type set up but it got us through last season with out paying high prices or running out of salt. We were going to buy a 20' shipping container this year but with winter starting so early this year in michigan we are just going to work with what we have. While the price is down we will top off our totes and save the salt in the bin . last year we ended up storing 3 yards in totes. We wrapped them in plastic and shrink wapped them. The salt kept perfectly sitting outside all summer !

9. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I have 40' shipping containers at storage facility's on each side of town. Rent a outdoor parking spot drop the bad boy in the spot, have salt delivered. Holds 50 tons each. Works great, challenge is having a loader there or weres the guy thats pulling a loader behind his truck...

Overall its great having salt on each side of town, all my hoppers are 2 yarders so we refill a lot.

10. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Bulk or pallets in the 40 footer?

11. Flawless440

50 Ton of bulk salt in each bin

12. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

So your loading bulk into it? How do you get it 40 feet to the back..some kind of telescoping loader?

13. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

We have a 40' shipping container. We can stack the salt with our tractor so it is about a foot from the top. We have 70 -75 ton in there. Takes a while but beats tarps.

14. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

So it's a open top container?

15. Flawless440

No its enclosed shipping container.. Search Ebay, you can rent them for the winter as well.
    A dumptruck dumps the salt on the ground. Then we use a skid loader 1 scoop at a time drive the salt to the back of the shipping container.. Stack it 1' from the top.. Works well

16. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

How wide are they. That sounds like a tight fit width wise driving in there

17. jerpa

jerpa Member

About 7.5ft wide.

18. Snow tracker

Snow tracker Senior Member

This is what they are talking about. Plenty of room for a skid steer

image.jpg

19. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

We have a bunch of them trailers but the skids and buckets around us just seem to big to fit in. I never gave it any thought though cause around here that's not the norm. Seems like a good idea though. How many yard bucket you use to fit inside there?

20. magnatrac

Most containers are 8' wide with a 8'-6" height. A skid steer with a standard low profile bucket will fit just fine. Your not going to move salt with a mulch/snow bucket so clearing an 8' opening is not an issue. Even large frame skids will fit ,just less breathing room. We want to get a 20' container vs. a 40 due to the fact we can move it ourselves on a deck over trailer. I know it won't hold as much we are small time compared to a lot of guys here.