1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Individual operation : New to snow removal :)

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by WarriorLandscapingCan, Sep 22, 2016.

1. WarriorLandscapingCan

WarriorLandscapingCan Senior Member

Hey guys !

I'm quite active on gopherforums, great landsdcaping website.

This will be my first year getting into snow removal, is there a rookie thread on such things as startup checklists, and general beginning business guidelines on here?

1. I have a 2013 4x4 F-150.
    2. I will be doing residential snow removal in GTA Canada.
    3. I won't be using a plow, just a commercial snow blower.

I guess my first question would be what are some reasonable rates for 2500 Sq Ft homes, maybe 15 x 20 ft driveways?
    Typically 300 - 500$ for the season?
    Is each month the same price?

Thanks guys

2. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

That's is a tough question to answer since I'm not in your market...

I suggest talking to contractors in your market to get a feel for the pricing

3. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome aboard. How much snow do you get on an average? Look around and see what others are charging in your area.

4. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

Yep I agree with the others. That's how I figured out pricing in my area. I asked other contractors what they were charging. Some will tell you to pack sand but most don't want you low balling and undercutting their business just to go broke in a couple years and now the clients you had are trained on an unrealistic price. I'm assuming that your a landscaping contractor so I bet you have a lot of contacts to ask about. The other thing I did was talk to my clients that I already had from my contracting business. Just say hey I'm getting into snow removal this year and I'm curious what you have been paying for this service. Most of my clients were happy to tell me as they weren't particularly happy with the service they were getting and were eager to jump on board with me.

BUFF likes this.
  5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Has G/L insurance to cover snow work been looked at? You'll need to factor that expense into your bizz plan too.

6. WarriorLandscapingCan

Buzz I hear your the head honcho on this site ! - lol, don't blush now :p

Can I ask you a few questions if you don't mind?

I have a Ford F 150 4x4, will be using snowblowers and shovels for my first year.
    1. Should I get a 2 Stage 1 snowblowers, a Stage 1 and Stage 2, or Just a Stage 1 to start?
    2. What would you recommend, Toro, Arians, Honda?
    3. My tires on my truck are worn. ( 55,000 km) Do you think I should buy a set of all seasons, or a set of winters and a set of summers?
    4. Do you neighbors complain about noise of snow blowers early morn?

7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Huh...... You're hearing needs to be evaluated......
    1. Preferably one and two stage, if I had to choose just "1" I'd take the two stage because it does it all, light to heavy snow.

2. Honda, Toro then Arians

3. Big fan of GY Duratracs, there's endless hours of ready aboot tires.
    Running a less aggressive tire in warm months is a great option.

4. I don't know and really don't care, not my problem

8. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

It can be done, don't worry about that. The age old 1 or 2 stage blower question (I even asked). I started with a 2 stage, but a single stage will get jobs done so much faster, assuming you can keep up with storms. If you can, get both. If not, a 2 stage will do it what you'll need, it's just slower for the small storms. I have an Arians and Craftsman 2 stage, a Toro, Troy bilt, and a couple old 2 cycle snapper single stage. I've never had a problem with the Arians or any of the single stage. DON'T BUY A CRAFTSMAN! I have it as a back up, and it's good for nothing beside that. The Toro is head and shoulders above the troy bilt. As far as the neighbors, I no longer do residentials, but when I did (2 years) I only had 1 yell at me. You still have to keep in mind that the blower is MUCH louder than dragging a plow. Good luck, there's a ton of reading on here about doing what you want.

9. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

LoL Good morning Buzzalo,

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

:terribletowel::terribletowel::terribletowel::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::laughing::laughing::laughing:

MJD ain't going to be happy when he reads this.

BUFF, Michael J. Donovan and FredG like this.
  11. WarriorLandscapingCan

Lmao, I meant Buff. sorry boys

12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Fixed it fur ewe.......

13. WarriorLandscapingCan

This forum is awesome, pretty well put together I'd say.

14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Kids....

Save up for tires and a plow for the truck.

You can't charge enough to make a living doing drives with a walk behind blower.
    There just isn't enough hrs in a day to cover your costs and make a profit.

FredG likes this.
  15. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

X2.....Find some walks.

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

No, no, ewe were close enough.

FredG likes this.
  17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

He's kind of like buzz---- light year, but bigger

redclifford and Mark Oomkes like this.
  18. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

More like Mr. Incredible......

19. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Granted I have to have multiple guys, but I've made as much as if I had only myself with a plow. It just sucks...

20. WarriorLandscapingCan

Has anyone here started out with just a snowblower, some shovels and their truck?

I have many of my clients asking me for snow services but I'm relunctant without a plow.
    Small residential homes.