1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Indianapolis Bulk Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by FFD133, Oct 8, 2008.

1. FFD133

FFD133 Senior Member

Where is everyone getting their bulk salt at this year? Need to start stocking up. We were using Brookfield, but not sure if they are selling to anyone else besides the city. Need to get prices ASAP!
  2. K&L Salting

K&L Salting Member

Needed to be paid for by Oct 3 $160.00 a ton for white. I believe Ed said that it was coming fron Chile.
  3. FFD133

FFD133 Senior Member

$160 is RIDICULOUS, especially for white! That's what we were paying last year when everyone was running out, not before the season started! I can get it for $150/ton delivered from Detroit!
  4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Guess you know where to buy it from then.

Salt has been going for at least double the starting price of last year for everyone in the Midwest. And it's possible that if you don't have it, you won't get it.

I had to prepay for 200 tons and just got the last load in. That's all I'm getting from them unless it's a light winter.

The shortage didn't happen overnight and it didn't go away over the summer.

Good luck.
  5. big pusher

big pusher Senior Member
    from ohio

As ridiculous as you think the price is now wait to see what it is going for the middle of January. I paid more than twice what I paid last year and had to prepay and take delivery of 140+ tons to guarantee I could even get it.