1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Indiana 2011-12 bulk bagged salt loading 24/7 during storms

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by dfdsuperduty, Jan 8, 2011.

1. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

Alright guys (hopefully the mods don't mind this one) I am kicking the idea around of opening a loading facility for bulk and bagged salt that will remain open during a storm. Would any of you guys use a place like this or am I wasting my time? Looking to open one up along the route 30 corridor somewhere in the area of dyer, schererville, mville

2. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

I'm doing the same thing. I also am carrying/retailing bagged product and representing some landscape supply lines as well. I am a little far out because it costs a lot to have the materials, facility, and $$$$ to back your business.

I am in Ohio and I would like to team up on ideas of how to do things and management techniques. It'd be nice to have a friendly relationship with someone that is just outside of the competition zone.

I found the key is a web site too bud. I have a good guy doing it for me.... He's family... and he is getting it just how I like. If it turns out nice I will give you a code to get in the site before I go public with it.

I'd really like to chat with you about this type of facility and throw some ideas back and forth. I have a lot of numbers compiled as well, and you may find them useful.

The company that is doing this is PRD Corporation (which is my family's business). My businesses are now entities of PRD (I filed for LLC and retracted a couple months later when I learned I was getting the Corp. from my grandfather). In case you want to know my businesses are Dayton Bio-Lawns, Dayton Plow Guys, Dayton Landscape Supplies, and Dayton Metro Group. Bio-Lawns and Plow Guys are active and the Metro Group and landscape supplies are DBA's that are up on the board. We have mannnnyyy years of experience. We have a head-foreman that owned his own landscape company for 20 years, HVAC techs, Siding guys, Roofers, Engineers, and a Realtor...... All of which form The Dayton Metro Group. The group is just a DBA and contractor association for those affiliated with PRD Corporation. I already have an office and a five acre lot (worth over $300,00), but I can't afford to operate on that yet... So I am making by with a little lot that we rent to other people... So it will be cramped but it is a start!

couple questions btw.... How old are you? and what monetary backing do you have (money set aside, forced savings, investor, assets, ect.)?

To answer it before you ask me, I am 18 and I have tens of thousands in assets from my maintenance business and about 10K in liquid-assets that are ready to move.... as well as 5K in my bank acct set aside, and my grandfather as an investor. (also am a member of two credit unions).

All of that kinda stuff is what you have to evaluate first... don't worry though... you will never finish :laughing: it is a fluid process

3. SF Supply

SF Supply Junior Member

I'm in the bulk salt supply business and would like to have a private conversation with you regarding supplying your salt needs. You already may be hooked up, which is fine, but it never hurts to at least investigate it.
    PM me on here and we will take it from there.

Thanks
    Dave

4. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I wish someone here was open during storms, we had a small storm sneak up on us 2 nights ago, I was not prepaired as it was not susposed to do anything, out of baged deicer and no were to buy it other then big box stores...:(

5. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

Hey! Me too lol! Even though I rep'd a bagged product place. I ran out because the storm before I picked up a one time money maker and used a lot more product lol....

AND I dropped my bag supplier earlier this season over a dispute with a TRUCK LOAD FULL of SOLID bags.... 50lb bricks of salt..... I got most of the money back but it pissed me off pretty bad because I was going to split the load with contractors and try to start building ties with them to become good customers for when we do open the full facility....

I felt embarrassed walking through walmart with bags in carts..... I thought I was going to die if another local contractor saw me lol.... But you gotta do what you gotta do.... And I still made a margin on it... and the customers were happily serviced on time

6. dfdsuperduty

I two have also had to buy salt from home depot, lowes, menards etc... when we were not able to get salt in on time. Sometimes we have made a profit and sometimes we have lost however the main thing is the customer was happy. If you ask any contractor I wouldn't care who saw me and actually would hope that a customer would see me and ask why I was buying salt from them instead of a supplier simple answer to service your lot and keep you happy. I really don't think the customer cares where the salt comes from as long as its on the ground

7. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

The Home Depot commercials say that it's a contractor's place, so...isn't it?

:laughing:

8. dfdsuperduty

Ya if you want to bend over and take it like a prisoner.... but sometimes you gotta do what you have to do to keep the customer happy.... just like i have also used a walk behind spreader to salt lots when my tailgate spreader went down (wire snapped off at the motor) didn't have another motor to swap in so i had to do what i had to do it sucked but the job got done